You can type here any text you want

audio pros, setup question!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TType84

cookin with propane
hey guys.. this isnt about a system for a buick, but i know yall can help me anyway.

he wanted a system so we bought a package deal..

$350 for a MTX 4250d 350w rms x 1 @ 2ohms, 2 MTX 4000 200/400 subs, and a box..

"its not loud enough"

all his rich preppy friends have 2 audiobahn alum12q's and a big amp... he wants to out do them.

we were looking at infinity stuff.. their website showing installs...

based on what THEY did, we came up with a couple ideas, going from mild to wild..

2 infinity 1220w reference subs (300rms/1200peak)
1 jbl 600.1 amp

2 kappa perfect 12.1 subs (350/1400)
1 jbl 1200.1 amp

or...

4 1220w's and 2 600.1 amps

4 perfects and 2 1200.1 amps

ORRR maybe you guys know someone whos tried this and think it would be a waste of time?

Most important: What kind of car/truck? This can make a huge difference.

Box size....?
Do you have enough room to get them in the size box they will like?
How about any other brands of subs? You might try a set of 3 JL Audio 12w6's. :)
.....4 Precision Power flat piston 10's? :D
..........Cerwin Vega Stroker 15's? :eek:

................How about 4 audiobahn and 2 amps? LOL
If they are loud with 2 subs and one amp, then imagine 4 subs and two amps!
I love dB drag racing.

its going in my cousins 95 civic coupe :)

i just looked up and made a spreadsheet comparing 10s and 12s from infinity, JL, image dynamics, and audiobahn..1

the kappa 12's need 1.00ft^3 per sub
the reference 12s need 1.25ft^3 per sub
the JLs need 1.5-1.25 per sub..

whats with audiobahn?

specifically the alum 12Q's...
1000w rms subs for like $272 a pair shipped..

seems too good to be true.. you guys know why?

Originally posted by TType84

whats with audiobahn?

specifically the alum 12Q's...
1000w rms subs for like $272 a pair shipped..

seems too good to be true.. you guys know why?

It is. Audiobahn, is 90% flash 10% actual design goals other than flash (ie SQ, SPL).

If he wants to outdo them, let him do it with one sub and 1 amp. The sub, a 12 or 15" Adire Brahma, the amp, anything that makes at least 1200rms (for 15" make that at least 1500rms). Putting the 12" in just a 1 ft^3 box with 1200rms going into it will make those guys with 2 alumq's go home crying. :)

If you really want to rub it in, put that brahma in a ported box (tuned to around 20Hz) and really shame them.

:cool:

wow, im about to look on the net for those subs you said..

i have a question though

a friend of mine who used to compete in sq stuff in his buick has a pair of "cetec gauss" 10s said theyd do pretty good.. but he doesnt remember much about them specifically, just that they were bad ass, and that they weigh like 30lb a piece...

Thats the beautiful thing about the brahma, it was designed to be an ultimate SQ sub, it just happens to have the longest throw of any sub on the market and decently high eff so it will go REALLY loud also. :)

haha oh my god

that sub is bad ass, we found a dealer like 2 miles from my house (the only one in texas besides one 500 miles away)

he can get us a 12 for $325 :eek: cheaper than online and minus shipping.

wow..

so about boxes since im gonna need a custom one.. so what do you think we should get for a box.. like the 2 you suggested.. how different are they going to sound?

well, i know that. they list 3 applications, i just wanted to know, in his opinion, the pluses and minuses for each...

he mentioned a 1.0 cu ft. box and a ported box tuned to 20hz... sealed the sub needs between .75 and 1.25 cu ft in a sealed app

Well, a good box for it sealed is 0.93ft^3 net. That will give it the ideal Q alignment of 0.707.

For ported, I'm not sure off hand. Head over to www.teamamp.com and go to the forums, then go to the Adire forums there, search for box sizes, there should be PLENTY of threads about it. Also, do some searches at carsound.com

I HIGHLY doubt anyone else will be getting a better price than what ampman.com does (also, ampmans price includes shipping) The dealer you found may have a couple of the subs that Adire shipped that were 'defects'. The tooling company that makes their topplates screwed up and didn't chamfer the edge of the top plate. What does this mean? It won't look as 'smooth' it doesn't affect performance in ANY way. Adire sold those subs at a reduced price, and $325 would sound about right for them.

Back