You can type here any text you want

AudioWizard?? And the rest of the experts??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87gnblackdemon

Don't Be Redikulas!!
I am calling out to you all since you have always had great answers and suggestions in the past. I (me and the old man) are beginning to build a trunk setup for my GN, much like AudioWizards except my subs will point to the back. I am wondering what it is you(AudioWizard) used to mount your amps to?, the white material. I was thinking of using some sort of tub to lay them it, but haven't found one yet. And are you or anyone else using fans in their setup?, and how do you go about hiding them and powering them? I have looked for help with box dimensions before, so this time I used the formulas and this is what I've come up with 44LX13HX15D= 2.47 or 2.5 cuft per chamber outside, and inside would come to 2.08 or 2.1 cuft, I subtracted 1 inch from each measurement for the inside measurement since I'm using .5 inch MDF, is .5 inch MDF ok? . The box recommendations are 2.0 per chamber or bigger, so as close as I can get is good enough for me. I did not subtract cone or sub displacement since I've had a hard enough time getting a box big enough to fit without coming out to far and hitting spare, and these measurements are the best I've been able to do. We are starting the box at the back of the 6x9 magnets. Anything else you think I should know while doing this project, would be appreciated. Thank-You

Originally posted by 87gnblackdemon
I am wondering what it is you(AudioWizard) used to mount your amps to?, the white material.

I built an amp rack using 3/4" MDF with a 1/4" masonite mounting plate (to hide wiring).

And are you or anyone else using fans in their setup?

Yes! I am using dual 12 volt fans to pull cool air across the amplifiers

and how do you go about hiding them and powering them?

I use a 12 volt fused power source to a Bosch relay with a switched signal.

I subtracted 1 inch from each measurement for the inside measurement since I'm using .5 inch MDF, is .5 inch MDF ok

I personally dont recomend using anything less then 3/4" MDF for woofer cabinets because of box flex. Just my .03 cents :)

Yeah, definatly go no less than 3/4" MDF, and with a box of that size I would definatly recommend bracing it. Those long sides tend to flex.

If you are going to have a 'window' for the amps in the amp rack (like Audiowizards), just place the fans out of view from the window, or flush them along the insidewalls of the amprack. Its usually best to have one fan pushing and the other pulling.

I use a 12 volt fused power source to a Bosch relay with a switched signal.
Don't forget to put a clamping diode across 85 and 86 on the relay to supress voltage spikes from the relay coil. Most HU's power antenna leads are weak to say the least.

Thank you. As for the .5 inch MDF flexing, I'll be putting a piece of MDF in the middle of the box to seperate the subs, you think that will help prevent flex?

Sure it will. Then add two more cross braces to make a cross in there in each box. Will greatly reduce flex.

If you need to make it out of half inch material I would use a strong grade of plywood such as marine plywood.

If you are just doing it for cost savings then nevermind since that kind of plywood is way more expensive than 3/4" MDF which is the tried and true way.

At least step up to 5/8" with lots of bracing. :)

Don't forget to put a clamping diode across 85 and 86 on the diode to supress voltage spikes from the relay coil.

Please repeat in english,lol. I have no clue what that means. I did some searching on using fans with amps, and this is what I found. First I need a relay, run power antenna wire to 86, pos battery lead with inline fuse to 87, ground 85, and then fan power to 30, correct? I also read that if I use the power antenna lead that I'll lose power if I switch over to cd? Do I have this correct? Now what about all my other wires, I have my HU remote wire spliced and going to both amps with a switch in each wire to turn on and off amps individially, do I leave all that alone? Some people have said to just splice into the amp remote and power. Will I need to install all new seperate wiring for the fans?, ex: from battery to relay. Help me understand this better..

Back