AUX jack ONLY

WH1_T-Type

Is there a way to instal ONLY an AUX jack WITHOUT a radio in the car? Want the radio gone and just use my iPod for music and AM/FM. Anyone done this? If I can do this then I will have a metal plate in the hole that will hold a gauge, my progressive controller, and a pocket for storage...

I'm thinking if I take my aftermarket radio that was in the car apart I could pull the receiver out and wire the jack direct to that I should be able to ditch the rest of the radio, then hook up an amplifier to power the speakers.

Maybe on the right track or am I overlooking something obvious?

Sure, there is a jack with a "headphone" input on one side (plugs into i-pod), and a RCA outputs on the other (connect's to amp). I'm using this connector now for my MP-3 on the radio AUX RCA input. As long as the i-pod signal is "clean" there shouldn't be a issue with the sound output.

What would be the best kind of amp for that? Not looking for anything real fancy or loud, I'll eventually replace the stock speakers but it isn't a high priority and when I do it'll just be decent quality stock location stuff..

I would recommend replacing the factory speakers at the same time the amp goes in. Reason being is the factory speakers aren't going to be able to take much and will probably not sound good with the extra power. If you aren't going to replace them, I would say go to walmart and buy a low watt amp then use it. BUT when you plan to upgrade you will need to buy a better amp for a cleaner signal. I hate to say buy a "throw away amp" but thats what I would do.
Something like this...
Discount Car Audio and Car Stereo: Amplifiers: Road Gear RGCA-1100
Main site for some research:
Discount Car Audio and Car Stereo: 1000s Models at Discount Prices.

Yup..that's gonna be the answer I think. Nice and cheap and will get me music in the car until I'm ready to spend a bit more money on it. Thank you for your inputs.

I know everyone's budget is different but from the above site I picked up a set of Infinity Kappa 6.5's and 4", then Reference 3.5's for the dash (wasn't sure if the Kappa series would fit) for $187 to my door.

If you do go that route I'd look into a master volume control knob for the dash. You can build one if you are savvy or there's various ones out there that stand alone or link into a processor. depends on your needs and budget, but it would keep you from having to fumble with the volume on the ipod, plus it could give you a finer control of the volume.

I've seen some good deals on ebay for budget speakers, when people sell outlet stock. Bought a pair of kenwood 6.5s for a guy that were $28 shipped brand new, retail was about 75. I've also done lots of business with crutchfield and they have great support.

You get better sound using the bottom docking connector which can provide line outputs (RCA jacks) but the sound comes out at full volume from the unit the volume control doesn't control it.

As mentioned you can make a volume control or buy one, stereo control line level with rca jacks.

Going into amps., or even an aux. jack on a head unit, is better this way than through the headphone amp. and it's equalized output.

Salvagev6 raises a good point. The sound out of a headphone jack is altered, they cut out a lot of the low end so you don't blow the tiny speakers in your headphones. If you can get an adapter for the bottom connector, do it. Run it though a volume control (you need one that has dual channel (stereo) capability) and you are set. If you can't do that, next bext thing to combat the headphone jack bass robbery is an audiocontrol epicenter. It was designed to digitally restore bass that was stripped from headphone jack signals.

Salvagev6 raises a good point. The sound out of a headphone jack is altered, they cut out a lot of the low end so you don't blow the tiny speakers in your headphones. If you can get an adapter for the bottom connector, do it. Run it though a volume control (you need one that has dual channel (stereo) capability) and you are set. If you can't do that, next bext thing to combat the headphone jack bass robbery is an audiocontrol epicenter. It was designed to digitally restore bass that was stripped from headphone jack signals.
Just to update, I have my system installed but still working on the sub box, in the mean time I used a off the self 12" box to make sure everything works. I have my Driod run into the back of my head unit using the headphone to RCA lines into the AUX inputs. I was shocked on how hard it hit!!! I understand the reasons why the headphone jack robs sound quality and range, EVERYONE on the net say's the same thing when I did a search. But it's a lot better than I expected, I plan on changing the head unit out to the one I want but had this on lying around and it would work. If you have the means of try before you buy I would, it may (or may not) work for you. My $.02.