Aviation Maintenance Technician

MissingMyBuick

Ok guys, I have a situation on my hands. I am very seriously thinking of attending Sierra Academy of Aeronautics Airline Training Center. The course I would take would last 16 months, and at the end of it I will be an AMT. I would be FAA approved ( what ever that means), and I would have an AMP license. The whole course costs 20K. The only problem I have with it is the schedule. I would have to work full time ( approx. 7:00 am to 3:00pm), then drive the approx. 30 miles to Oakland and go to school from 4:00pm to 11:00pm Monday through Friday. Talk about intense!!! I know it would be hard on me physically and emotionally. And that is just me, it would be hard on my wife also. I would never see her except for the weekend. And to add to the confusion, I don't know if my work will allow me to change my schedule. I currently work 9-5.

Any encouragement or advice would be great. And also if there is any one on this board that is familiar with AMT's or the school I am thinking of attending, I would like to hear your input.

Thanks guys!!!

I work as an A&P mechanic, and I dont know what kind of advice you want, But after you attend school you will still have to take your FAA exams.Your writtens,oral and practicals, When you pass those then you can get your licences. There is also the fact that aviation is sometimes not the most stable of careers,While you can make a good living just be carefull where you choose to look for work.

Good Luck

Nisnutz, I was under the impression that the FAA approval thingy and the AMP licensing was included in the course. When I went to the school to check it out, the lady that was talking to me told me about some kind of written, oral, and practical exam that I would have to take at the end of the course, which would be given by FAA personnel.

Also I have thought about the fact that that industry isn't the most stable, especially after 9-11. But I was also told that since United went under, the need for more workers has gone up at other airlines ( ex. Jet Blue). I was also told that if for some reason I don't get into the aviation industry, I could work in another industry ( ex. BART - like a subway, but mostly above ground, also become a roller coaster tech., auto tech). I don't know if they are just feeding my some crap or what. But it sounds pretty good.

Dont get me wrong about getting your A&P, (By the way its A&P not AMP stands for airframe and powerplant. Its actually two separate licences, Most mechanics have both but I work with a few guys with one or the other) I'm not saying your making a mistake. You have to realize they are running a business (your school). Right now all the majors are leaning toward regionals(little jets).Reason is cost,Not only the equiptment but maintenance as well.They are tired of paying $28.00 an hour for maintenance. They want the new guys fresh out of school (soon to be you) so they can pay them $13.00 an hour.They justify it by saying thats what it pays to work at a regional airline,and unfortunately they are right.Quick little side note a good friend of mine applied at a local regional,Has tons of experience and is a great mechanic.They told him your just what we're looking for.They offered him second shift manager.Wanna know for how much? $17.50

Like I said just be careful

Man, that is depressing.:(
I already make approx. 13/hr. I was told that newly licensed techs. usually come out making approx. $17/ hr. , or $35K/ year.
What do you think about the other opportunities that are supposed to be available to me after school ( roller coaster, auto, BART)? Do you think that is really legit, or are they just telling me that so I will feel better about going there? They did tell me that they have job placement assistance. What would you do if you were in my shoes, knowing the schedule and hardship and everything else?

I think your taking what Im saying the wrong way.There are jobs that still pay very well.You just need to be cautious,Dont take the schools word as gospel.

P.S. If you wanna have a frank discussion on the subject I can give you my number just e-mail me.This typing is driving me crazy.

Missing, the main drive the school has is getting students at $20k each. The second concern is getting you thru so they can collect all the tuition you owe. There are great jobs out there, but the way the airlines are being crushed right now, those are few and far between from what I hear (not that it is accurate) See if you can talk with a group of techs and find what they have to say. Nis sounds as though he has some inside info for you. Have you checked any other kinds of education avenues out? Someone recently was here talking of becoming a nurse. There is a very strong need for them and they make some major $$. Male nurses are in demand now even more so. Just a thought. Good luck which ever way you go. Best to find a course at a young age and follow it for the future though. Mark

a male nurse? riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. thats my brother, i dont think hes gonna do that, but i'll let him answer for himself.

P.S. Josh, nice screen-name!!!:D

i was in the same situation about 20 years ago-working full time going to faa school full time-very tuff to keep up-dropped out of teterboro school of avionics after 6 months,went into heating and ac work only to get a job with port authority of ny and nj,well im making over 80k a year and im gad i did what i did- now we keep getting new employees that worked 10-20 years in aviation mechanics in our shop only to start over from the beginning.one guy is 60, one is 48, and one is 47. the aviation mechanic business aint what it used to be!

2Quick, Don't nurses have to work crazy hours? I heard sometimes like 24 hrs. straight. How long do they have to go to school? Right now I am open to pretty much any idea, I just want to make sure I am going to enjoy what I do and be good at it. I am sick and tired of having a job and not a career, if you know what I mean. But, I do think I would really enjoy working on planes. Planes have always amazed me. My wife said when I walked into the room with all of the plane engines in it, my eyes got big and I had a big :) on my face. Maybe it's a sign, maybe it's just me, who know's? I will quit rambling now.

Missing, Aviation defnintely has its ups and downs. Although this might not sound positive but it acually is. Just recently some CEO's have stated that the airline industry has hit rock bottom and has no place to go but up. From my end of the industry it looks as though most major airlines will be downsizing within the next few years. Continental had orders for 100+ 757's but has recently cancled the order, forcing the boeing plant in cali to be closed until further notice. As usual only time will tell and by the end of the quarter we should have a better idea where all of this is going. Either way.... good luck!

I've been an A & P mechanic (AMT) for 12 years now and if I had to do it all over again, I would chosen a different career. You have to keep in mind that ever time you do anything on a commercial aircraft, you are signing the discrepancy off with your license number. If the task you performed on an aircraft was done wrong and there is an incident or worse an accident, guess who the FAA is going to come after. They'll fine you and either suspend or revoke your licenses . No licenses = no job.

And in a worse case senario, the mechanics who signed off a jackscrew as being within limits on the ill fated Alaska Airlines MD88 a few years ago, could fine themselves doing some jail time.

Don't let this discourage you, but it something to think about . As far as I'm concerned, A & P mechanics are not paid enough for the liability that goes along with the job. Just the smallest error you make could cost you your job if the FAA gets involved. Let me know if have any questions.

well i have only been doing this for 6 years and of that most of it has been military on chinook helicopters. i am getting out in a year, and although i do have my A @ P i am not really planning on that being my future career. its not the fact that i am scared to sign something off, i have been flying on the very helicopter i fix into combat and with 40 + lives in my hand, i know i do the best work. its just that it doesn't pay enough, i got the school and experiance for free, so i got my faa tickets, but if i had to pay 20k for this life, i would of moved on to other things. i absolutly love aviation and plan of doing some facet of it for a job, i am working on my private and inst/commercial pilot stuff as a hobby, and mabe a future in maintence test flights, but in the flying business you have to pay alot of dues to get anywhere, good thing i am young.
grant

Missing--I've been an aircraft mechanic for over 13 yrs. now. I also had to work full time 0630-1500 and school from 1600-2330 for 15 months. I can tell you that 20k seems pretty steep. I work with guys who paid 2-3k for a hole in the wall school and with guys who went to PIA and Embry Riddle paying MAJOR bucks. It didn't seem to make any diff to the company (in hiring them)as long as they had their ticket (A&P). The actual classification is now AMT, but you still have to get your Airframe and Powerplant licenses. Any schooling of this type with Federal licenses will always be of some help when job searching later on. The industry now SUCKS. There are literally thousands of A/C mechs. on the streets now (layed off) looking for work. Yes, I've also heard of people with A&P's getting other jobs beyond the airline industry (amusement parks, Nascar, car dealerships, etc.). I personally don't know anybody that has done this. I do enjoy my job, but each year it seems the CEO's get richer (even in the bad times) and the front line employees get the shaft. I've got 13 years in (I'm 32) so I guess I'll try to stick it out and see what happens. In your case I'd look seriously into the medical field, elevator technician (seriously----those guys do well), or maybe a lineman. I dropped out of Va. Tech. engineering program because I personally like hands on work. Not a desk in a cube. There are good paying blue collar jobs out there for the taking. A four year degree in "anything" doesn't seem to go very far these days. There are a LOT of people out there with college that are having arough go at it.
If you decide to pursue this------go CARGO (Fedex, UPS, whoever). They seem to be the most stable.
Sorry for the rant. Hope this was of some help.

Gerry

I have been in the industry now for 20+ years.Like everone else has said it's at the bottom.Most majors are looking seriously at sending maintenace overseas,because they can get it cheap.My advice is if your going to do this keep your options open.Look in your local area for Vo-techs offering a program.It will be far cheaper and most employers don't care where you got your license.Just as long as you have one.I went to Spartan School of Aeronautics,at that time I had already been through Automotive training and I thought it was a joke.You will pay big money for name recognition and get very little in return.The FAA has also split the licensing into AMT Heavy [Airlines] and AMT [General].The school basically prepares you for your exams,but you must take A General,Airframe and powerplant written and practical.I have been with a major for over 17 years now,times used to be good,but that is not the case any longer.The Upper management people are getting rich and securing stock options at our expense.The thing at AA was nothing more than Enron without the prosecution.These guys could give a rats ass about the company just as long as the stock is doing well.After seventeen years of service I was awarded a major Pay cut and a serious cut in benny's for my hard work.Management got 800K in stock options.Pretty cool aye.Look towards the medical repair field.You will not be happy with the current state of this industry and no I don't think it's going to bounce back any time soon.That's why I opened my own Auto Repair shop.Gotta have something to fill in the gaps.

I have been in the industry for 20 years and would not reccomend it to anyone. The work is great, and challenging, but the fear of losing your job is always there. If you want to see how fellow A&P mechanic feel go to www.the-mechanic.com

Ive been doing it for 10 years. Starting working on small a/c, cessnas pipers etc. Then got the oppurtunity to work
on Corporate Jets. Working on the corporate side is great. Ive worked for Signature before and we did both,
corporate and airlines at Midway Airport and the airline work is all outside in rain or shine. Corporate work in 95%
in a hangar. Airplanes are much cleaner than the commericial side. But like someone said there are 1000's of medk
laid off right now and looking for work. Aviation magazines say2007 is when we will be back to normal. I currently
work on boening corporate fleet on 1 corporate 737, 2 bombardier challenger 604, and 2 lear 60's. there are jobs
out there if you want to move around the country but dont expect to make more that 20 bucks an hour your first year. It took
me 6 years to get to 20. now im up over 30 an hour . Its enjoying but there is a lot of responsibility. If your not
sure its right get a second opinion on what you just fixed. And usually get a second set of eyes to look over your
work. Good luck. You may even want to stop at a local airport where maintenance is done and ask them if they have
any old maintenance magazines that you can have. there is lots of job type info in them.