Bad Convertor=Bad Trans??

ONLYA6

Guys, I've got a quick question for ya. I've got an AC 9" 3000 L/U convertor in my 2004r. On Sat. while coming home from my garage the convertor starting making some god-awful noises. After talking to my buddies they told me that chances are since the convertor is junk, the trans. must be full of metal shavings and that needs to be sent out to be gone through. The convertor started making noise while driving normal and about 5 miles from my house. Is it possible the whole trans. needs to come out or can I just change the convertor? Thanks!!

Jacob

Absolutly depends on how lucky you are. Drop pan and look at whats in pan. if debris is floating or fluid sparkling you will be a replacing. :(
Sucks but its the only way to go, if required. all depends on what came apart.....

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

i would drop the pan and look for anything out of the ordinary,
in my travels when a convertor goes bad you see a lot of very fine metal dust in the pan and oil, if you caught it early and there really is no residue i would jsut pop in a new convertor,BUT if you see alot of residue you will have to tear it down and clean it good
or you will have nothing but problems in th future with sticking valves

In the future, I would get one of those external trans filters. This thing saved my life when my converter died. I keep looking for metal shavings when I changed the fluid and even when it broke i was looking at the dipstick and saw no metal shavings. I was kinda scared cause I was wondering if it was the converter or the pump. Well there was no metal ANYTHING in the fluid!! The PureOne filter i had on the external filter caught every bit of metal that came from the converter!!!:eek:

When I changed the filter, I saw metal shavings of all sizes on the outside edges but when i poured the fluid out of the filter, it was clean! I would recommend this thing to anyone and i put one of every car i have owned. The stock filter is a joke....;)
You can get them from summit, Jegs, and most speed shops. Bruce might even have them.

Well, we got the trans. apart and luckily the convertor hadn't completely failed yet. So there was no metal or damage to the trans. Unfortunately, we put in a new Precision Industries converter and it turned out to be bad! As soon as we put the car into any gear, the converter would lock and stall out the car. I talked with a TR vendor and he said he's seen it before with these converters. What a disappointment!! Oh well, down comes the tranny again.

Jacob

BUT,,,,,,,, You didnt hurt unit.. guess your one of the luckier ones, even though at this point you don't feel so..:)

Could have been much worse

Bruce
We4
www.ptsnctb.com