You can type here any text you want

Baer Rear Disc Caliper Contacting Rotor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboBuRick

Staff member
I can't believe it's even possible for this to happen. First the caliper made contact with the out side of the rotors. Had to add .100 washer between the mount and caliper. That fix the problem on the out side. Then after a few miles of driving, the brakes started grinding again. Now the calipers are contacting the inside.

There is NO exesive axle movement. At the very most I have .020 in and out. I can't see that being a problem. It's the calipers that are moving not the axles or axle housing/flanges. For some reason the calipers like to favor one side or the other.

IMO If the calipers are allowed to travel then the tolerance between the caliper and rotor need to be adjusted so they cannot make contact. There is no reason to have that much travel. I can't believe others are not having the same issue. Maybe I do have some wrong parts here I don't know.

Rick Elam from Baer is working with me on the issue.

I'll get some pics up later.

I am not having any issues what so ever with my SS4 rear brakes (4piston calipers & 12" rotors). Even after throwing it around on the Auto-X they were fine and if there was going to be axle movement or caliper movement that would have been the time for it to appear.

Rick it will definitely help having some pic's to compare against mine to see if you have something wrong or some wrong parts.

I can also snap some more detailed pic's if you need me to, just let me know..

Scot W.

Had a long conversation with Rick E. at Baer. Very knowledgeable guy. It was a pleasure to talk with him.

He is making some replacement calipers based on the measurements I gave him.

Confident the new ones will correct the problem.

I'll keep yall posted. :biggrin:

The pics I promised. :biggrin:

Attachments

• 2011-07-15_18-20-01_380.jpg
    2011-07-15_18-20-01_380.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 2011-07-15_18-18-10_220.jpg
    2011-07-15_18-18-10_220.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 2011-07-15_18-19-12_144.jpg
    2011-07-15_18-19-12_144.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 113
Holy crap!!! Looks like your rotors are pretty badly chewed up too.

Back