You can type here any text you want

Bearing wear

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
"The speculation the the front cover wear was a contributing factor makes sense "..............I'm not sure as to what the ft cover had to do with the failure..
Because it had some wear, is the debris from that wear, considered to be the cause??

"The speculation the the front cover wear was a contributing factor makes sense "..............I'm not sure as to what the ft cover had to do with the failure..
Because it had some wear, is the debris from that wear, considered to be the cause??

Yes the debris from the wear is thought to be a contributing factor, the front cam bearing shows some wear but the inner ones look brand new.
There was almost nothing left of the nylon cam button it was embedded into the front cover sorry about the picture quality.

cambearings005-0.jpg

Yes the debris from the wear is thought to be a contributing factor, the front cam bearing shows some wear but the inner ones look brand new.
There was almost nothing left of the nylon cam button it was embedded into the front cover sorry about the picture quality.

cambearings005-0.jpg

Love to see a better pic.

Sorry its already fixed the depression was a good 1/8 to 3/16 deep with a nice nipple in the center. The Machinist had never seen one that bad.

Picked up the crank and cover, machine shop brought in the bearings ACL Duraglide. Any horror stories I did a search on this site and the web and could not find much bad they are a trimetal bearing similar to the Clevite made down under.

So far so good all mains are at .0018 and the end play is .007 time for the rods!

A high 11 sec. car with a "Cobbled together Alcohol Injection",IMO you're running tighter clearances than I would... Hope that works out for you.

If I was racing it all the time I would have set it up a little looser but it only sees 1 trip a year to the track with the occasional thrashing on the street. I shot for no tighter than .0015 and looser than .002.

Its cobbled as in 3 different manufactures AEM nozzle, devilsown pump, cooling mist controller. It progressive a works well I like the controller its my boost gauge too.

Bearings are in and so is the roller cam, took me about 4 hours with the die grinder with fitting and re fitting the front cover until I had the end play on the cam right. The machinist epoxied in a steel button on the front cover where the old cam button had ate into it. It was sitting proud of the surface and I didn't want to wait when I stopped by Friday to pick it up. No shims on the button with .009 of clearance. I bet I took .110 off the steel he had epoxied in. Wish had just welded it like asked that would have been less work for me he did a nice job on the crank, just a polish rods are 30 under and mains are 10 under.

Double roller chains on, cover and balancer is installed, next up is the valve springs.

Clearance opened a little and the shaft polished.
Dial indicator on a saddled shaft is an eye opener.
Straight edge and gauge the block saddles.
It's a PITA to check assembled drag per cylinder but an eye opener if one is too tight.

Was there (abnormal) trash in the pan?
Maybe a flush was used and the bearings washed.

A least you have a base from here on..
good luck

Larry,

Lets go back to the beginning...at operating temps what oil psi did it drop to?

hot it would drop to 5 psi and about 20 crusing plus the gauge was pulsing which spooked me too.
I fired it up on saturday but I have to pull the front cover off its leaking :mad: hoping its just misalighned from going on and off so many times setting up the end play.

Back