Benz Site

Phatman

Senior Irish Member
Anyone a member of or know of a good Mercedes-Benz website?
One with knowledgeable members, in terms of mechanical help and information, not fashion, wine and cheese crowd.

:cool:

Phatman said:
Anyone a member of or know of a good Mercedes-Benz website?
One with knowledgeable members, in terms of mechanical help and information, not fashion, wine and cheese crowd.

Several good ones depending upon what chassis type Benz you have.

For C-class (mostly W202, and W203), try: http://mbklasse.com/

One of the bigger sites with all models represented, would be:

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/index.php?

Go to the forums part, after picking what model Benz you are looking for. Thousands of members worldwide, several of the chassis models are well represented by active and knowledgeable members.

If you are pretty good with the wrenches, you might wish to consider purchasing the Benz factory repair manuals for your car, all of which are available on CD, from like 1985 onwards. It's called WIS, and it is VERY comprehensive. I have it for my car, and it was money well spent. It has exploded diagrams, parts diagrams, and step by step repair/diagnosis flowcharts, etc..

Also, the level of mechanical knowledge on most of the Benz sites is not as good as what we are used to on this site, but you do have several certified techs and more mechanically inclined enthusiasts who post there, especially on older models that have needed or been through frame off restorations, etc..

Hope this helps

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

Thanks....

I'll check into those sites.

If you are pretty good with the wrenches, you might wish to consider purchasing the Benz factory repair manuals for your car, all of which are available on CD, from like 1985 onwards. It's called WIS, and it is VERY comprehensive. I have it for my car, and it was money well spent. It has exploded diagrams, parts diagrams, and step by step repair/diagnosis flowcharts, etc..

Where did you find these and what is a ball park on cost?

Phatman said:
Thanks....

I'll check into those sites.

Where did you find these and what is a ball park on cost?

****The WIS manuals on CD are sold on E-Bay much of the time. You can do a search on whatever model Mercedes you are looking to get them for, and under "Parts and Accessories", the manuals are usually in there somewhere. It is fairly involved to install everything on your computer as it takes some kind of key generation program that comes with it. Mine takes up like 2-3 gigs of hard drive space. It's not plug and play, as I *think* this is what is on the dealer computer terminals when you go to the shop, but am not sure.

The newer cars are many orders of magnitude more complex than our Turbo Buicks, mostly due to the electronics. There are sensors for everything, and not even an oil or tranny fluid dipstick on some of the newer cars - everything is electronic. Fiber optic lines on some systems, the special ignition with no spark plug wires, blah blah. No easy way to stick a Holley Double Pumper Carb, Edelbrock intake, and Moroso air cleaner with chrome top on the damn thing.. :)

I think I paid like $150 for everything (the manual, not the car..), including a big parts book for quick reference. I got it on E-Bay quite some time ago.

Hope this helps

Billy

Yes it helps, I think what I'd like to find is a service manuel. Just to give me an idea of what I'm looking at and or talking about. I did check out that web site MB.org, looks to be pretty good.

I bought my daughter a 190E 2.6 from a client of mine. the car has 30'000 miles on it, and it seems to be in very good condition. It has sat in a garage most of it's life, only being used during the winter months if at all. I'm just looking to give it a good going over before I turn her loose with it. I'm guessing at this point I should just make an appointment with a MB tech and have it done. If I make her wait much longer I think she may try to kill me in my sleep.

1000MileStylez, stop by and warm up down here in Florida......