Best converter for TE-44??

Realspool

I had been considering a good 3200 Torque converter for a while now.My car is only driven on the street.My stock 3000 D5 is ok and it is stalled at 3000.There is a little lag there but im wondering if a aftermarket 3200 converter will be to much converter for the street??I like a faster spooling turbo on the street because I have heard it gives the V-6 more pep driving around town and is funner to drive.Im just not sure if a 3200 converter is overkill on the street(spinning tires everytime the throttle is hit hard??) with a TE-44 Turbo?? I may be upgrading to a TE-60 in the future though. :cool:

If you want to change converters, I would try a 9.5 inch Vigilante. 2800-3000 stall is plenty with that turbo. Or a similar style converter. Like a 9/11 or a 10" Protorque.

Stall

:eek:
Sweet6 said:
If you want to change converters, I would try a 9.5 inch Vigilante. 2800-3000 stall is plenty with that turbo. Or a similar style converter. Like a 9/11 or a 10" Protorque.

just picked up a TE60 what stall would do i need

Precision told me with my combination that the 3200 9.5 single disc converter would work best.Im concerned about getting into boost to quickly.I guess it wouldn't matter if I got a TE-60 later but for now I am trying to get the most out of the TE-44.I know alot of guys have a 3200 stall converter behind there TE-44 and I was wondering what kind of street manners it gave the car?? Does the car roast the tires when given full throttle or does it just seem to wake the car up and get rid of unwanted lag on the street??

Hard to say what one is better. Probably not much difference between the two. You could call one of the Buick vendors and ask them what converter they have seen work good. I would guess a 3000 9.5 inch or 9/11 is plenty for the 60. But then you will not have much wiggle room if you wanted to upgrade from there.

Sweet6 said:
Hard to say what one is better. Probably not much difference between the two. You could call one of the Buick vendors and ask them what converter they have seen work good. I would guess a 3000 9.5 inch or 9/11 is plenty for the 60. But then you will not have much wiggle room if you wanted to upgrade from there.
Well TE60 for now will be a street car only will there be a lag issue with a 3200

i think a 3000-3200 10.5" or 9/11 or Vig would be good. You won't lose anything going that high and it leaves you room to upgrade turbos later on down the road. I love my 3200 with my 44.

JDSfastGN said:
i think a 3000-3200 10.5" or 9/11 or Vig would be good. You won't lose anything going that high and it leaves you room to upgrade turbos later on down the road. I love my 3200 with my 44.
My exhaust housing is a Garret.63 not a PTE-85.I guess if it spooled to fast with my Garret.63 I could always move up in Turbo size or try a bigger exhaust housing like you.I have no clue though how a .85 Exhaust housing on a TE-44 turbo would be on the street even with a good 3200 stall converter??

Realspool said:
My exhaust housing is a Garret.63 not a PTE-85.I guess if it spooled to fast with my Garret.63 I could always move up in Turbo size or try a bigger exhaust housing like you.I have no clue though how a .85 Exhaust housing on a TE-44 turbo would be on the street even with a good 3200 stall converter??

I ran a .63 for a very long time with a 3200 stall 9/11 and loved it as well. The .85 spools the same since i have the 3200 stall but it does provide a slightly better topend pull. If you are running a drag radial you should be fine with a 3000-3200 stall.

I have a 3500 stall with a 63E. It might be a tad too much converter. I would think a 44 with a 3200 would spool like mad. Probably a lot of fun on the street too. :biggrin:

I had a 3000 stall PTS 9/11 for a while on the ol' TE-44. Instant power. Pretty much no lag on the street. The right chip with tuning helps too.

Yeah im leaning towards a 3200 stall converter even though a upgraded 3000 stall would help.I run drag radials also.I was just a little concerned of overpowering the car with the almost instant boost on the street.I don't think I ever heard of anyone on this board saying a 3200 stall converter with a TE-44 is not fun on the street.I will just have to eventually choose Precision,Viglilante or some of the other brands mentioned before. :cool:

Art Carr

Get An Art Carr 9" N/lu It Will Fly And With Simple Add Ons Like 009's You Can Go A 11.5 With A Good Tune

DMOSTWANTED1 said:
Get An Art Carr 9" N/lu It Will Fly And With Simple Add Ons Like 009's You Can Go A 11.5 With A Good Tune

no offense but why go with a non lockup unit on such a mild car? That just seems counter productive when you can go just as fast or faster with a lock/up unit and still keep decent gas mileage

I have a 3500 stall 9/11 on my 4.1 with a TE44. I spool pretty damned quick. Too quick actually. I'll go with a larger turbo soon and maybe a .85PTE housing for a little top end. I think you'll enjoy the 3200 stall with a 44 or a 60 series turbo.

Yeah,the Art Carr's are best on the track some people say, not fot the street.I think a 9/11 or a Vigilante Converter is what im narrowing my choice down to.The Vigilante company reccommended me a 3200 9.5 single Disc L/U.Anyone run that type of converter with the 44 Turbo??I don't know why the single disc is more preferred then the 5 or 7 disc converter but it probably has something to do with streetability?? :cool:

The mutidisc is only needed to lock the converter at WOT. But locking the converter at WOT is hard on the trans if you lock it up before 3rd gear. I have a 7disc and have never locked it at WOT. I decided I did not want to take a chance at breaking my trans for minimal gains in ET. Single disc lock up is great for a street car.

I have a Vigilante 3200 stall converter and TA-49. If you plan to play on the street I suggest a good set of Drag Radials as my poor Dunlop tires don't stand a chance if I go WOT on the street.

I really don't care as I don't street race, just light'em up every once in a while. ;)

It's an awesome combo for the strip as I don't have to worry about spooling up when I'm staging at the tree. Once I'm set I begin to spool up and can reach my boost level before the green light.

Dannyo