You can type here any text you want

Best Downpipe for my TE-44 Turbo?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Realspool

I have a Te-44 turbo i just installed,stock modified 3000 D5 converter,the turbo does not spool up as well as i thought it might.What i think the problem is i have a 3 inch downpipe without the wastegate flange.I have a racegate right in the middle of the crossover pipe.Many guys have told me that is not a good set up for quick spooling.I was going to buy a Terry Houston pipe but opted to stick with this Turbonetics Racegate and leave it where it is and save money but im not happy with it.Is there anything i could do with out changing downpipes that would really make the turbo spool fast:confused:

Make sure your headers aren't leaking and verify the stall RPM with a scan tool. A 44 should spool very fast with a 3000 stall converter, no matter what wastegate you are using.

Originally posted by Realspool
I have a racegate right in the middle of the crossover pipe.Many guys have told me that is not a good set up for quick spooling.I was going to buy a Terry Houston pipe but opted to stick with this Turbonetics Racegate and leave it where it is and save money but im not happy with it.Is there anything i could do with out changing downpipes that would really make the turbo spool fast:confused:

I have mine in the crossover pipe as well. My car spools extremely fast. I have pulled a best of 1.61 sixty foot with the stock converter. Getting rid of any restriction after the turbine housing will definitely give you better spool. What about your chip? Is it maybe a little to rich on the bottom end? Like UNGN said, check for leaks. It should spool really fast.

I have no scan tool at all and my car does run rich.I am going to but the scanmaster 2 soon.It makes me feel better that you have your racegate where i have mine and it spools real quick with 1.61 60ft. wow.I would like to install a Granger valve but i don't know if you can put one in with a racegate set up.If i could get that i would not worry about another set up.I have been told that the further away a racegate is away from the turbo the slower the spooling would be.You contradict this.I wonder why everyone has a different opinion on this.I take your word for it though my car is out of tune plus i need a external fuel pump.:cool:

Yes i did change chips.I went with a Jay carter 93 chip and th car was alot faster but still rich.

Also my car does run rich especially on the bottom end.I guess the racegate between the crossover pipe is not the problem.Why waste alot of money on different set ups if its just out of tune.By the way does any other guy see a benefit in having the racegate in the middle of the crossover pipe like my car and in one other guys post on this topic here???The problem is exhaust leaks.I had a copper gasket between my turbo and header flange and it leaked there,like a ticking noise.I took off the turbo and had the exhaust manifold sent out to check for cracks and none was found.I am just going to get the stock header sand blasted and spray it with high temperature VHT if thats the best i can find.No more gaskets for me on the turbo to header and header to cylinder head.Any diffrence in opinion whether to use permatex ultra copper,copper rtv,or any other brand thats easy to find???:D

Does anybody dissagree about having the racegate on the crossover pipe???Does it spool better because its after the turbine??? :cool:

you are having problems spooling a TE-44 turbo on a 3000 stall? wow i was running a bone stock 2200-2400 rpm D5 stall on my turbo and it spool instantly from a dead stop or roll...you got problems elsewhere...check leaky headers, vacuum leaks, etc.

I had a 12" 2800 stall / te-44 combo on my old car with the turbonetics wastegate on the crossover pipe, and it spooled hella fast. Your problem is somewhere else.

Ross

No more gaskets for me on the turbo to header and header to cylinder head

that could be your problem right there, i keep blowing gaskets from the header to turbo and each time it KILLS my spool up, its even very hard to do a burnout until i replace it because of my drs and the fact that with the leak i can only spool 3 or 4 psi:(

Well i never used gaskets from the exhaust manifold to the head but i ordered a set of fel-pro gaskets that are not copper but a different type of metal.Alot of guys seem to have no problem with this gasket blowing.What I don't like is if you bolt the old headers on like was always done with my car its not a new header.They y get warped over the years or may not be perfectly staight but on new headers you can bolt them in without anything because they are new and have no defects.How long did you have the gasket on the car and what type of gasket did you use?I know the stock ones suck!!:cool:

Back