Best guess if this sounds like a timing chain

I checked under the car, All fine

What I did see, Is a round hole in the block ( From the factory) near the front corner of the oil pan, Near one of the bolts Never saw anything like that in 30 plus years in the hobby. The oil Psi at idle is 12 pounds after idling a 1/2hour. Oil type 5-30. I'm going to have a pro find this noise as I've run out of things to check. One a side note I was e-mailing this problem to a friend in my Masaerati Forum, He also heard a noise from his 2003 Coupe with 27k miles, Needed a new engine at 22k!! Good lord I'm soooo happy I sold my car.

Don't want to scare you but if the chain is that loose and hitting the cover. When it lets go and skips you can ruin the whole motor. The valves can hit the pistons destroying both of them. If it is an original chain and gear it can not hurt to change it for reliability issues and peace of mind.

you can check the slpp in the timing chain by grabbing the balancer with both hands and seeing how far you can turn it before you feel the slack getting taken up. more than a few degrees means the chain is junk.

What a great idea!!

My next test, I'll remove the belt and see if I can move the crank pulley. I would go out there now but my wife's ready to have me committed ( And she can, she's an M.D)

My timing chain makes the same noise..... so loose you can hear it slapping around in the timingcover. yea it needs to be changed... but im curious as to how far it will go.

my 4.1 is going on 280K + miles though.

A.j.

Dont push your luck,,,, bad things will happen if that puppie goes:biggrin: :eek: but then again you knew that lol

You may need to bring your wife with you if you venture into Bridgeport with a TR unarmed. :eek:

Don't leave it overnight... ;)

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out what's causing it. :confused:

Well then again it took me a month to realize my power steering mounting bolt snapped and caused the noisy belt, not the tensioner, not the pulley, not the 3 sizes of belts, not the alternator, not the water pump..... :eek: :biggrin: