You can type here any text you want

best practices in successful launch at track successful fimes

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bad2bone

badtobonebuick.com
A rookie wants to know the ins and outs of proper tactics in obtaining best launch and times in detail. Thanks

First and foremost, make sure you perform a Spring Cleaning and that you car is in peak running condition.

Secondly, you will need sticky rear tires or you will just sit and spin. I have used many different brands over the years, but I currently prefer the 275-60-15 Mickey Thompson drag radials with approx 20 psi. You do not need to do a long burn out with these tires. 2-3 seconds of white smoke is usually plenty.

Next, install an air bag in the passenger side rear coil spring with between 15-20 psi.

With these recommendations you should be able to leave the line with 4-5 psi. With good track prep and lots of practice you should be able to run in the 1.70 60 foot times.

From there suspension work is generally required for better 60' times.

Good Luck

A rookie wants to know the ins and outs of proper tactics in obtaining best launch and times in detail. Thanks

1. Go sit in the stands and watch a few cars.
2. Watch the cars go down the track and see where they turn off at.
3. When ready to make your first pass, line up in the appropriate staging lane. Usually the announcer will identify which lanes are for cars on slicks, radials, motorcycles, Jr dragsters or No time posted.
4. If you have street tires on the front, drive around the water box and then back into it. Get the tires wet and then pull forward out of the waterbox.
5. When the guy working the tree tells you to. Do your burnout. I leave my trans in 2nd gear while doing the burnout. I read somewhere you have the highest line pressures in 2nd. No need to impress the crowd. 3-5 seconds of white smoke will do.
6. Pull forward until the top bulb on your side of the tree is lit. You are now prestaged. It is important to do this with the front tire, not the back tire.
7. Once the other driver, if there is one, has prestaged--slowly inch forward until the 2nd light is lit. You are now staged.
8. Powerbrake the car to the desired boost, usually as much as the brakes will hold. The lights will come down. I usually let off the brake as soon as the last bulb before green lights up. Hold it to the floor and hold on.

Good info here. I would add, make sure you have scan tool hooked up to the car and monitor that the car is not lean and/or has any spark knock. If it is rich, it may not go as fast, but as long as you are not knocking, and everything else is ok, it should stay together.

Back