best stock location intercooler for the $

GBGN1

stroked
Ive got a t top car so i need all the braceing i can get. I ve heard u cant use the front frame brace or swaybar when useing a front mount.Is this true?
And what the best stock located intercooler?
thanks
Brian

I put my V4 in yesterday. Holy cow what a difference. I picked up 4 psi, which I had to back off. Spools faster, fit perfect. I've seen people complain about the bracket not fitting right and the shroud being less than perfect, but I can say everything was PERFECT. All the holes lined up, didn't have to mess with the shroud to make it fit around the sway bar.

Just a couple of observations on the installation:

- the up pipe is further away from the TB. Need more silicone hose to make it all fit nice at the TB

- run the bolts through the threads in the IC before you drop it in place. Mine wouldn't thread in easily I guess because the threads were newly tapped. Wound up cross-threading one of them

- it uses one of the water pump bolts for mounting, so you'll have to drain some coolant out. I wasn't expecting that - it's just a little added hassle

Jim

CALL JACK COTTON.
He put one of his on my car (stock loc. i/c )
21# on 93 on the street going to adjust to 22# no alchol
going to Gainesville 4-6

Ive got a t top car so i need all the braceing i can get. I ve heard u cant use the front frame brace or swaybar when useing a front mount.Is this true?

Run away from whoever told you this. I have both and don't know of ny front mounts you can't run with both..Like the other guy said, call Jack Coton.

Thanks for the advice-keep em comeing-Mostly stock now but building a set-up.want to up grade to blow the ricer's away.
thanks all
brian

I run the Mease Performance stretch which is the same one Jack Cotton sells. It fits better and is less money than the CAS V4. Mine is notched to clear the sway bar and it also clears my front frame braces.

For the money you can get the dutt neck for $70 and then someone to get it on for you for around $125. You will see 2 psi with that.

But if you are looking for an ic that will lower the charge to run more boost safely and get more power, then the CAS V4 or V4R NO DOUBT. There is nothing out there that can compete with its core on the market,

WHY?

Only Dequick has the newest intercooler core technology out there, extruded tube. More effeciency, more cfm at any pressure drop you compare another one to it at. At $700 and $860, you get a front mount type performance with a stock look and a great spool up due to way better pressure loss and stock route boost travel.

SVTR1, you say you are running 21 psi on the street with 93 oct?
Whats your timing? Do you have a scan tool, because it sounds like the car would have tons of kr.

Originally posted by GBGN1
And what the best stock located intercooler?
thanks
Brian
The two short braces & the front swaybar fit fine w/ the PTE front mount on my car. The longer connecting brace wouldn't fit because of the intercooler pipes. I think someone has posted before about being able to modify the connecting brace so it would fit. I never put it on mine. I will as soon as I replace my PTE w/ the V4 I recently ordered.:)

i/c

BGC makes a great stock location i/c aswell. It looks as good as it works. No 1 1/2 units bonded together. I would love to see some kind of DYNO test or even better yet, track results between Dequicks v4 and BGC stock location i/c's. I've seen both units, the BGC unit looks better, but cant really say which of the two is better/more effective. The BGC i/c, inlet and outlet tubes keep a consistent size to the bottom, unlike the v4 (which is tapered). As far as the i/c scoop, there is no comparison, the BGC scoop looks much better and is more effective ; i.e. the scoop directs the air to the bootom of the i/c as it does to the top, the v4 scoop does not push air to the bootom (matter of fact, it blocks the air to the bottom), but does seperate the air going to the top via fins/air deflectors.
I've personally have gone 11.4's @ 120MPH w/the BGC i/c, so I know of it's effectiveness, it works well if this is what you are looking for.
I'm not in no way associated with BGC's. Just thought i'd add my $.02, what ever it's worth.

Good luck, MARIO:D

i/c

forgot, you can also use the brackets and sway bar on both units. The BGC's scoop does require a simple modification to it, as stated it grabs the air from the very bottom of the i/c.

again, good luck MARIO:D

GBGN1 .....how fast do ya want to go....stock intercooler can take ya into the 11s...Melissa has a V4 on her WE-4 along with a few bolt ons: 44 turbo, blue top inj, fuel pump, adj reg an runs mid 11s @ 118 with Nittos... V4 core is nice... we also had a BGC intercooler in one of our other cars...it did not "drop" in like CAS's...on another note is BGC around anymore??? keep it simple an stupid an enjoy the car!!!!

In order to really answer this question for you we have to know two things,

What are the cores made out of?

How many rows is it?

So, I keep hearing about the mease piece, how many rows is it and what is the core made out of?

It looks like it comes 2 ways, just like the CAS piece.

Otherwise, we are comparing what people said it did to their cars, instead of comparing the cores and knowing what the outcome will be if we stick both of them in a windtunnel at 350 f.
A better test scenario.

This question is going to come up a ton of times, so if we can get what the cores are made out of we can start to come to a more realistic performance conclusion.

MARIO
Melissa has a V4 on her WE-4 along with a few bolt ons: 44 turbo, blue top inj, fuel pump, adj reg an runs mid 11s @ 118 with Nittos

hey Grumpy, thats impressive (11.5's @118) on Nittos w/such a simple combo.. would like to see that car go. what was the sixty foot? I can only muster 11.4's @120MPH on slicks w/a 1.57 short time. hmmmm. :eek: :eek:

GBGN1, so how fast DO YOU want to goooo!?

MARIO

Mario... she runs basically 1.8s.....every now an then she'll go high 1.7s... we r tryin a little bit taller tire this year (BFG's) ...:)

Mease performance stock I/C with modified neck.

Perfect fit, great work, and should be more than enough intercooler depending upon your goals. Keith is a pleasure to deal with as well, plus you'll save some bread over the CAS or another aftermarket equiv.

I had fit problems with the CAS V4S. It wouldn't line up to the turbo, and had to hack the passenger side bracket. Still sat crooked after all of that, and the scoop was way off. But hey, maybe my 20k mile car is crooked or something:rolleyes:

I did the Mease i/c with new powdercoated brackets - he even throws in new stainless bolts and a new step-down hose to the turbo.

measeperformance@hotmail.com

HTH
Rich

Spoolinup, no knock at all .zero
NOW UP TO 22 PSI ON A TA-60 ,
2 deg of knock retard @23psi I've not adjusted FP up that's next
SCANMASTER
and the same boost controler that Jack Cotton has in his racecar
Jack put my car together and I can tell Ya this JACK can my your car fly . and I like it.

Well im building a combo for the low 11's high 10's

Stuff im getting or have

50 lbs injectors +7th injecter
+walbro 340---- smc alki unit
te44 or te61--- 3 inch mease dp(when i get it)
translater +
cold air kit+206/206 cam
65mm thr
2800 stall red strip

just thinking about the intercooler?

thanks all
Brian

Well im building a combo for the low 11's high 10's

Stuff im getting or have

50 lbs injectors +7th injecter
+walbro 340---- smc alki unit
te44 or te61--- 3 inch mease dp(when i get it)
translater +
cold air kit+206/206 cam
65mm thr
2800 stall red strip

just thinking about the intercooler?

thanks all
Brian