You can type here any text you want

Best way to replace the front timing cover seal?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

I've read and read and search and searched for good onfo on this but I haent quite read anything that flat out tells me what the best way to do this is.

I have a stock timing cover and a Fel-Pro seal. How do I get the pressed in stck seal out without damaging the cover? Seems like prying it out with a screw driver could nick the cover.

Does the Fel-Pro seal only go in one way or can I get it mixed up and possibly install it backwards?

Do I need to use RTV on the Fel-Pro Seal?

What is going to gauarntee this wont push out while the car is running?

I know I know, buy a TA or buy a new one from Earl, which I would like to do but I'm doing the cover mods on the one i have here and dont have the money to shell out. Sorry if those questions sound dumb but I dont want to damage my only front cover.

----Jeremy

Jeremy, is there a link to Earls covers? I'd like to check that out. Did'nt mean to jack your thread BTW:redface:

remove the cover
to get the steel rope seal retainer out tap it out from front with a screwdriver and a little hammer usually one quick hit and its out
once its out look at the backside and take a dremel and grind away the deformed areas from the staking

put some rtv(i like the rightstuff) on the outside of the new national style 1 pc rubber seal and tap in place
be sure to lube the rubber seal before sliding the balancer in

and if i had a nickle for every one of the sealed power seals that ive seen falling out from the front...
so yes use sealer on the outside of the rubber seals

oh and earl doesnt do them anymore so i here and he did use GM covers so the seal replaced from the rear
theres a thread in the resource section on the other buick board if you want to do what he did , it wasnt rocket science and should be considered basic prep that should be done anytime the cover comes off or before new one (gm or aftermarket) is installed

Also you'll need to grind down/file/etc the stake marks where the factory stacked the OEM seal into place in order for the newer style seal to go in correctly.

You can use loctite on the new seals lip for some extra hold
Other advice pretty much somes it up.

Dont forget to seal the threads on the bolts that go into the H2o jacket

Cool! Thanks for the info guys. Seemed like a dumb question but everybody has their tricks. I've never had to replace a seal so it never hurts to ask. Good info!;)

Back