You can type here any text you want

BHJ balancer vs BMS hub/balancer

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Billy- i bought a couple hubs from mike booher-dont know yet which im gonna use but if you need one of them of for fitting purposes i could bring them by.

BHJ is the best choice due to the fact it is a true balancer and not just a hub. Use the BHJ your bearings will love you. :smile:

What's wrong with a BMS hub?

FWIW, I'm using a BMS hub and would like to understand why using a BHJ balancer would improve things?
IMO, Buick Motor Sports would have gone to and used a balancer if they thought it was needed. Maybe I missed it, but has anyone ever had any problems running a proper fitting and installed hub?

(I could tell a "Smokey and Curtis" story (circa 1958) if there is interest.)

Hubs

Straight out of the literature by Dave Emanuel's " TheBuick StageII V-6 Racing Engine "...............

Chapter three -- Crankshafts pg.10;

" Some experimental work has been done with a crank hub in place of a harmonic balancer. While hubs have not created any problems, they have been used only on current Buick designed crankshafts. Ruggles recommends that hubs be used ONLY with crankshafts that were finished by Modern Machine from Buick supplied forgings. Use of a hub on any other type of crankshaft may result in premature failure. "

Granted this info was published back in 1987. Some seem to have luck with these, while others don't seem to race the engines long enough to tell if the above holds merrit on a dedicated turbocharged drag racing engine. HTH

FWIW, on page 9 in this same piece of literature, it states " a Buick stage II harmonic balancer is best for a Buick Stage II crankshaft. It was planned that way. " This is under the picture of a harmonic balancer.

balancer,

I have a hub on my engine. i have had a bhj balancer [ i still have it] on same engine i didnt notice any difference, Indy buick engines the ones that i bought had a 7 inch balancer i still have one, i sold a balancer from a indy lite engine that had the reluctor ring on it, it was also a 7 inch diameter, the bms hub is just machined out of a block of forged steel nothing there to remove harmonics , some people will argue. good luck oc

Back