You can type here any text you want

Big maf pipe or big up pipe??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jarredsoon

I have an 89 TTA and the turbo inlet is 4 inches.
I currently have a 3 inch up pipe.
I want to put a 4 inch maf pipe on but it will not fit below the 3 inch up pipe.

So I want to know what is better to have....

a big 4" Maf going into the 4 inch turbo inlet and have a 2 1/2 inch up pipe

Or a small 3 " maf going to the 4 " turbo inlet and then a big 3" up pipe

Thanks

Jarred.

If you're bound and determined to to go with a 4" MAF pipe...then you'll need a spacer...but then the vacuum block might hit the hood.

What I want to know is which one is better to have? big maf or big up pipe.
If you could only have one which one is best??

I would work to lessen restriction to the inlet of the turbo over the up pipe size.
Really, I'd like to see both increased.

I have an 89 TTA and the turbo inlet is 4 inches.
I currently have a 3 inch up pipe.
I want to put a 4 inch maf pipe on but it will not fit below the 3 inch up pipe.

So I want to know what is better to have....

a big 4" Maf going into the 4 inch turbo inlet and have a 2 1/2 inch up pipe

Or a small 3 " maf going to the 4 " turbo inlet and then a big 3" up pipe

Thanks

Jarred.

I'd do both.
If you slightly dimple one or both pipes, that should get you in there. Any restriction made by the dimple should be more than covered by the bigger size of the pipe. I had to dimple my up pipe about 1/4" to get mine to work with out rubbing. This is my 2 1/2" up pipe with a MH 4" cold air kit. As you can see, the dimple doesn't show on mine.

GNenginebrushedalt038.jpg

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

I was JUST going thru this yesterday, with my mechanic (he's a popular gn guy) and a car that's in his shop right now. Car runs like 7's in the quarter. 70mm throttle body, standard diameter up pipe, and either 3, or 3.5" maf pipe.
You don't need it buddy. Trust me. If his pipes aren't choking out his 7 second timeslip, your little pipes aren't choking out your 11 something timeslip. Trust me on this...

By the way, this car, was bought from somebody brand name on this board. It's a super fast Gn.

If you have the itch to increase pipe sizes, it will never hurt you. Plus, you might not have to run 40+ psi to run 7s in the quarter. :wink:

Back