You can type here any text you want

Blown Cometic?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JDSfastGN

Well Im not sure how this could have happened. Im running a pretty tame tune and only 23-24 #s of boost. I ran the car up at Noble for 6 passes and all was well. So I drove it out of town this weekend and made it there and back just fine. I took it on a 50 mile drive to my parents yesterday and on the way I got on it a few times. I never stayed in it longer than 3 seconds at best. About 5 miles outside my parents I looked down and to my horror my water temp gauge was showing 250.... I pulled over and didnt see anything. So I left it and towed it back to our shop. I thought for sure it was the water pump... but nope after filling it back up with water I saw the leak. Is there any chance at all that I can retorque and add some seal tabs lol?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC_RieHfP98
A/f is a programed 10.8 and timing is 23/21. These are .060 cometics sprayed with copper coat and heated and retorqued 3 times with a heat gun setup that heats the block and heads to 230 or so.

JD, That sucks. You can try to retorque the heads, but im not sure it will work. Heck it's free right! We ran cosmetics on my dad's car for a while and they leaked oil real bad so, we yank them off and went to RJC's. RJC's are good gaskets, but I like the cosmetics because you can choose the thickness of them. You don't have that option with the RJC's.

Good Luck....let me know who it works out for ya.

Oh I will be for sure. I was mostly being tongue and cheak. Im gonna retorque the otherside and replace this one.

JD, That sucks. You can try to retorque the heads, but im not sure it will work. Heck it's free right! We ran cosmetics on my dad's car for a while and they leaked oil real bad so, we yank them off and went to RJC's. RJC's are good gaskets, but I like the cosmetics because you can choose the thickness of them. You don't have that option with the RJC's.

Good Luck....let me know who it works out for ya.

thanks Chris, I guess I'm gonna use cometics again And hope for the best. I still can't believe I hurt a cometic after 6 years of 9441s with no issues

If the heads and deck surface are not flat and smooth you will have headache's. Stock gaskets are less forgiving.

If the heads and deck surface are not flat and smooth you will have headache's. Stock gaskets are less forgiving.

the surface of both the block and heads were prepped right, but even still the copper coat should cover up all that anyways. Somehow this one blew, they didn't leak at all after the install. The engine has 2500 miles on it

I agree with turboburick. More importantly is look for the source of detonation. I doubt the gasket is blown but it has a compression leak for sure. If the gasket was blown you likely have a burned deck and head as well as damage to the piston.

Back