You can type here any text you want

blown gaskets

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tracy

All this discussion about blowing gaskets has me really concerned. I've only had my TTA a month and it had oil and coolant leaks when I bought it, which I understand is common on these motors.

But the stories of blown head gaskets has me worried. That's a big $$ repair. My car has 34k, and a few mods, I hope I am not going to experience this problem anytime soon.

Go out and by yourself a compression tester ($30) and do a compression test. All cylinders must be within 5% of each other.
dont forget to open throttle blade (WOT) when you do it.

That will tell you for sure if something is wrong. takes about an hour to do the whole thing.

healthy numbers should be in the 125-145 range within the percentage given.HTH

Bo

Originally posted by tracy
All this discussion about blowing gaskets has me really concerned. I've only had my TTA a month and it had oil and coolant leaks when I bought it, which I understand is common on these motors.

But the stories of blown head gaskets has me worried. That's a big $$ repair. My car has 34k, and a few mods, I hope I am not going to experience this problem anytime soon.

Buy an "insurance policy" in the form of educating yourself on how the system works, and some diagnostic/monitoring tools.
Do this FIRST, before you start leaning on the engine and adding modified parts...
A good place to start is: www.gnttype@gnttype.org. There's enuf info there to use up a ream of printer paper for a "manual" of reference materials...:D ;)

Blown HG's are a sign of detonation, get a scantool and avoid detonation and you will be fine. If you go with T-Link or DirectScan also get a knock gauge so you don't have to have the laptop fired up just to drive it (also easier to see the knock gauge than the screen in the pass seat).

Just think, it will cost you more to have someone change your headgaskets than a scantool and you will end up buying a scantool anyways after you do blow a HG, just buy one now or don't hit WOT.

Knock retard is the enemy and the cuase for blowing things up. severe knock retard will sound like metal pinging in the motor. I believe in seeing a number vs a bunch of lites. On the knock guages you dont know if 1 lite equals one degree or 5?

T-link and DS are great for extended diagnostics. But recording when you blew the head gasket is a bad thing. Hence why the heads up display the scanmaster provides.

HTH

Back