You can type here any text you want

Body Bushings

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

86 TR

Work In Progress
What kind of job is it to replace the body bushings between the frame and body of the car.:eek: :confused:

I have new ones from GM and want to replace these.

I'm hoping that it tightens the car up more than it is now.

The car is going in for paint this winter should I just have them replace them. I would like to do it myself and save some money!

I also have the lower body bushing kit from Kirban and they look pretty easy to install.

Thanks.

I am doing a frame off on an 87 limited . Four of the body bolts broke off. being in the lovely state of illinois. i was not surprised. thats all you have to do is use your floor jack and a block of wood . try to loosen all the bolts first.Then just remove all bolts on one side of car and jack up body just enough to get old bushings out. when you go to put new ones back in you might have to jack it up a little bit more being the old bushings were smashed down a little. dont jack up body to much. and dont forget to get the gnx bushing kit from g-body parts they also have body mount bolts . i would replace the bolts anyways.If the bolts break . just jack up body and get bushing out of way. what i did was just heat them up with torch and let heat transfer into broken peice and then use stud remover and twist out. pull your carpet back if you use heat . when mine broke. just the heads snapped off so heating and using a stud remover worked great. but if they break off flush. start drilling lol

Sounds easy enough. Luckily my car came from Texas originally so hopefully I don' t break any bolts off..:eek: :mad:

Thanks for the input.

two more things ...

1) over a few day period, repeatedly & thoroughly soak the body bolt threads with PB-Blaster or Liquid Wrench. I think the PB works a bit better. Both are vastly superior to ordinary WD40.

2) apply thin smear of Permatex anti-seize compund to the bolt threads upon re-installation. This will mininize any future problems.

Back