Boost gauge?

Pace 1989

I was wondering what other TTA owners think of the stock boost gauge. Mine seemed to be accurate before the rebuild, but when I adjusted it to 17lbs the car falls on it's face and the O2's are in the 850-888mv range in 3rd gear. The car did a best of 14.6 @99mph recently so I know something is wrong. It sputtered when at the top of gear, and didn't seem to want to go past 4000rpm. I've had it on the highway at 110mph and it was fine but it didn't get high in the rpm.

I had 1 esc count, 2.8*retard on one frame of Turbolink.
TA49, ATR roller, precision 2800 9.5" converter, 30 over, rebuilt 5000mi ago.

Checked the coilpack (12.500ohms), spark plug wires, and the module is relatively new (1000mi).

Can I tune using O2 volts (fuel pressure), and if there is any knock? I know I should know exactly what boost I'm running, but if there is no knock isn't it safe?

Thanks,

Ken TTA#1426

we have had excellent results with the stock guage in many cars here (not just one) :D

Have VDO 0-30 psi, stock guage reads within a # of the VDO (of course guessing the red) :D

Ken what chip are you using, and can you maybe post some of your tubolink readings. Something is bad wrong somewhere.

Readings

I'm using a Joe Lubrant chip made for my 009's
My O2's were 850-890mV, my TPS was at 4.2+(damn carpet was in the way), rpms never over 4400, don't know what else to say really.
I did have the heads cleaned up (ported?) and the headers welded and ported to match the heads, they didn't match up good stock. The guy that did the heads said he never ported this kind of head before, but I had room to grow from my TA49 turbo.
I changed one spark plug wire, and don't like using a 90* on the passenger front, it's right against the block. Anyone have any suggestions?
Is it possible since the heads are better I could run more boost?

Ken

Its WAY rich....

Knock 100mv off that, with racegas tune for 750mv and watch the knock..

I have to agree you are way rich. The question is what is causing it. Maybe your chip is set too rich for your application or you are not runnign enough boost. What is your fuel pressure at? It could be too high for the chip/injectors your running. Also running that rich you really shouldn't get much knock retard. Try adding in some boost, if that doesn't bring the mixture down then I would talk to the chip manufacturer and see what fuel pressure they recomend that you should be at and see if you are too high. If its not that then I would have no clue what would be causing you to be rich.

Thanks

Thanks, now I know what to shoot for. I turned the fuel pressure down from 43 to 42lbs, and turned boost up one pound. I will try it again this Thursday and let you know.

Thanks again everyone,

Ken

Hey Ken,so how did ya do?

I put on the THDP and the SSM's.They cut the DP a couple inches so it would gain additional clearance for the frame cons.Took them all day but came out perfect.

Julio

See ya soon at the track.

Track time

I didn't go last Thursday, was a bad day. Since then I got a new set of AC plugs just waiting to be changed in at the track. I am going this comming Thursday (August 31st), and am going to meet a couple friends with LS1's there. I hope I don't get embarassed again (last time his 13.6 to my 14.6). I will be tuning during the weekend and week to make sure I get it right. Juilo can you go? I'd love to see those sub-frame connectors and the downpipe installed. The dragstrip opens at 5:30pm. I plan on being there when it opens, but my friends will be there later.

Ken

I'll bring the chips (Thrasher, JCarter, and Pitbull) but I'll have to find them. I liked the Thrasher soo much, I really wish they made something for the 009's.

I did ice the intake prior to running, but it wound up being my worst run of the night. The car just heated up because they made us wait in line so the imports could qualify (bogus!!).

I have a laptop and turbolink for tuning and I look forward to hearing from you Wed.

Ken

Pace 1989, My mother's TTA had a problem just like yours, when the car hit 4000 rpm the power fell right off, it could only do a high 14 in the 1/4 mile, the problem is the hose between the MAF sensor and the turbo inlet bell. Under full throttle the hose gets sucked shut. I fixed it by wrapping it with duct tape, you can buy a new one or get an aftermarket metal one. You car should run 13.5s easy. My mother's car is stock except for a chip and 9-inch non-lockup converter. Her car runs 12.6 in the 1/4. You should get a better boost gauge.