boost problems

Eds87GN

I'm having trouble building more than 18# of boost at WOT and can't build any boost on the brake with a 3400 stall.
I'm sure the problem is in the dreaded ATR billet external wastegate.
After adjusting the bleeder valve from open to closed and also adjusting the screw on the wastegate itself with no success, I pulled the vacuum hose completely off of the wastegate and made a WOT pass (eyes glued to the boost guage) and still only got 18#.

If the wastegate was working properly, shouldn't it have overboosted without the vacuum line attached?

Thanks for any help,
Ed

You are correct there bud, I run the same one, and after about 50 miles after installing this wastegate, i couldnt build more than 8lbs of boost. The problem lies in the puck as the guides I guess were made of bronze or something of that matter which expanded more than the housing area and would freeze. I took the wastegate off and sent it to john craig <----superman!, to be modified. Let him know the problem, I belive he charged me 60 bucks total to put racing guides in there. Not a problem since. I run the ken mosher bleeder valve setup so I can control boost inside the car. And for 2 bucks, best controller I got ;). Now, your probably thinking that ATR should fix it since its their error. But, before I sent mine out to john craig, I asked around and everyone said that ATR denies that its a flaw. So rather than dealing with them I went straight to john. John Craig is at Limit Engineering, it should be on the vendors list. This will solve your problem. The ATR's suck new, but Kick @$$ when modified.

Scott:p

By the way forgot to mention, you said you messed with the screw, after you send it to john dont touch that screw. That is supposed to be the "safety". When you adjust that big screw in the middle, you are setting how much boost is let through if the vacuum line comes off. After you send it to john, I wouldnt touch it.

Scott

No problem bud, like i said, new it is a nightmare, but modified I find it to be great. Glad I could help.

Scott

go to gnttype.org and search for ken mosher setup for atr external wastegate... youll find it.

Scott