Boost Regulated Oil Pressure

Turbo1dr

9 Sec Wanna-Be
The key here is to eliminate high cold start-up and cruising oil pressures. You REALLY only need higher pressure under boost. With this set-up, pressure will rise only when its really needed. You can use a low pressure by-pass spring so oil pressure is lower on cold start-up's and during cruising. This way, you won't be cruising at 60 to 80psi all the time. This will also help gas mileage and help wear and tear on your timing components.

What happens is when the boost increases the regulator pushes the rod out and strengthens the pressure spring so the oil pressure will rise. I'm also thinking there might be a need for dual springs. One for low pressure and one for high pressure. The high pressure spring is a shorter spring that will come in contact with the pressure valve when the boost regulator is pushed further into the housing. Of course, I like things that happen automatically so this works automatically. THIS WILL NOT EFFECT IDLE PRESSURE or HIGH RPM PRESSURE UNLESS THERE IS BOOST IN THE ENGINE!

Of course, I have no idea if this will actually work until someone fabricates it.:p

boostoilpressure.gif

Makes sense to me. Although I think TA sells a adjustable oil pressure valve setup.

Their kit only increases pressure at high rpms. So if you set it for 80-psi with HOT oil then the engine will start up with 80+ on cold starts and will always go to 80 no matter what kind of load you have on the engine. Whether it's under boost or taking off at traffic speeds.

u seem to be pretty good at fabricating stuff yourself Turbo1dr, maybe u should sit down with Earl Brown have a beer or two, and i'm confident between the two of ya, you'll have it working in no time. :biggrin:

Is this designed to work with the stock spur gear or the gerotor oil pump? I'm not seeing how it would work for the gerotor since the spring is under the piston which butts up against the filter adapter plate.

It's for the stock external oil pump. It's on my "to do" list and it's a loooong way down near the bottom of it...:D