BQ vs Grand Nat valve bodies; shift points?

40flier

Pulling together parts to finally have a 200 R4 done. Have a complete BQ trans and also have a seperate Grand Nat purple stripe valve body. Which one will give me the higher shift points? Other considerations?

It's going behind a SBC, 68cc alum heads/Comp XE 274/286, RPM/750 in a sub 3000 lb street rod. 340: rearend. Never dyno'd but it'll kick the schlitz out of my tri-power GTO, axle hop excluded (that's another project)

I'm a bit dazzled by torque converter choices noted in this forum, this is a 100% street car with A/C as the next step. I want to have lockup for trips. My budget is $3-400, though reality can bite (^!

I've read Buick has a different electrical plug, is this going to be an issue with a lock up kit?

Thanks for the opportunity to tap into a wealth of knowledge.

From my limited experience

I have found that the BQ will have a sooner 2-3 shift then the BRF @ part throttle. WOT, I have found no difference in shift points. WOT shift points is eaisly controlled by adding or removing weight from the small governor side.

neither valvebody will provide a shift point suitable for your combo even if you lighten the governer , 5500rpm wot shifts will waste a lot of your combo shifting that early
youll want to go to the KC valvebody

and the BQ is a GN /TR trans , just from the hotair 84-85 cars

the connector is same as any other 200-r4 4 pin ..but it is wired differently (unique harness inside ) . the buick turbo trans doesnt use the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches to activate the lockup but rather its controlled by the ecm when it sees the switches are in 3rd gear and the lockup speed is met, being ecm controlled it also allows for lockup to be disabled at WOT or programmed to lock at WOT any desired speed

if you use the buick valve body and want lockup easy is just provide power(12v) to the lockup solenoid and a switch in the car to the ground side of the lockup solenoid and then you can manually choose when it locks ,
or wire the trans internally as they do in the monte/olds where the lockup occurs in 3rd gear by the switch , all you need to do is provide 12v and the ground with the 12v routed through the brake switch so it disconnects when you go to stop. only downside it stays locked at wot and if your making good power that might wear out a cheaper lockup converter clutches