You can type here any text you want

BRAKE FLUID FOR THE GN's & T's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Little6pack

I went to buy Brake fluid today at parts store & all they carry is SYNTHETIC DOT-3.
Nobody has the regular good old stuff anymore.

I am putting in a new PM system & wonder about the fluid still in the lines?

So I read the bottle & it said compatible with non-SYN fluid.

I went up to talk with the manager & he said lots of people have asked this question.

He said it would be fine, just don't buy the fluid with silicone in it as that will not work.

Does that sound OK or like a crock?

You should be flushing the fluid out completely so whatever fluid is in the lines shouldn't be a concern. You can get very good brake fluid at your local ford dealer of all places. They used to make a 550 degree hd brake fluid but now offer a 500 degree fluid, still a much higher dry boiling point than many brake fluids available elsewhere, and it's cheap.

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

It's easy to change the fluid in the car. There are no check valves in the master, so the fluid will drain on thru by opening the bleeders one at a time, and pouring in the new fluid. You must leave the cap loose, or the draining fluid will create a vacuum (there's that word again) in the reservoir, and the fluid will stop draining. Whenever I have the wheels off my ZR-1, I open the bleeders, and pour in clean. I do it also with the p/s pump.The car has 250,000 miles on it, and all those components are original. The Powermaster absolutely will not work with silicone fluid in it. The vanes in the pump will foam the silicone like egg whites. Then, no worky.

What you have been told, and what you have read here are correct.

1 - DO NOT USE THE SILICONE FLUID. It is not compatible with anything in your brake system.

2 - The synthetic brake fluid will mix and work with any old fluid that may be in your system. It's pretty good stuff.

Keep in mind, you old fluid is just that -> old fluid. Once you flush it out, don't worry about it. There may be a little residue left in your system, but the next time you change/flush your fluid it will be gone.

Make sure you bleed your accumulator properly before you put your fresh P/M into service. It makes all the difference in the world to the life of the pump. See my sig for proper procedures.

What you have been told, and what you have read here are correct.

1 - DO NOT USE THE SILICONE FLUID. It is not compatible with anything in your brake system.

2 - The synthetic brake fluid will mix and work with any old fluid that may be in your system. It's pretty good stuff.

Keep in mind, you old fluid is just that -> old fluid. Once you flush it out, don't worry about it. There may be a little residue left in your system, but the next time you change/flush your fluid it will be gone.

Make sure you bleed your accumulator properly before you put your fresh P/M into service. It makes all the difference in the world to the life of the pump. See my sig for proper procedures.

Thanks! As you are the only one who answered the actual question.
I am getting all the supplies ready as someone else is going to be installing the PM system for me. I assume he knows about the Accumulator but I will print your instructions out.
I am not 100% sure if he is going to open the bleeders I guess that would get the fluid all out to allow the new one in.

Since my old system is disconnected could I just open all bleeder screws & let gravity drain the fluid onto the garage floor?

Thanks! As you are the only one who answered the actual question.
I am getting all the supplies ready as someone else is going to be installing the PM system for me. I assume he knows about the Accumulator but I will print your instructions out.
I am not 100% sure if he is going to open the bleeders I guess that would get the fluid all out to allow the new one in.

Since my old system is disconnected could I just open all bleeder screws & let gravity drain the fluid onto the garage floor?
yeah, you could just let it drain onto the floor.. but then you'd have to clean it up.. and brake fluid is kind of a nasty thing to clean up.
get some 1/4" clear hose and drain the fluid into an old antifreeze jug or something.
as for what fluid to use, i've heard that the Ford brake fluid they sell at the dealers is about the best stuff out there. road racers of all types swear by the stuff.

yeah, you could just let it drain onto the floor.. but then you'd have to clean it up.. and brake fluid is kind of a nasty thing to clean up.
get some 1/4" clear hose and drain the fluid into an old antifreeze jug or something.
as for what fluid to use, i've heard that the Ford brake fluid they sell at the dealers is about the best stuff out there. road racers of all types swear by the stuff.

That makes sense with a hose & jug.

road racing a Brick?? the auto parts store stuff should do fine.:biggrin:

That makes sense with a hose & jug.

road racing a Brick?? the auto parts store stuff should do fine.:biggrin:

Yea, a catch container of some kind is definetely in order.
Gravity bleeding has never done it for me.
If it works for you, go for it.

I prefer the Valvoline synthetic. It is actually DOT4. Works great. It's in a silverish looking bottle. I get it from the 'Zoo.

Glad to read this thread. I have used the Castrol GT Dot 4 forever. Recently my buddy who used to work at a Ford dealer brought me over a case of the Ford stuff, so I guess I am set for a while.

Back