brake fluid leaking

mista808

okay, my older brothers good high school friend left me his 87 GN while he is out in japan for 6 months. i gotta do bodywork and paint. anyways i got to drive it today after a week cuz the flu, and noticed that it is leaking alot of brake fluid from behind the left front tire. all the visible brake lines look fine, but when i add fluid, it will leak it all out within 20-30 min. i called his wife and she said it was normal and even she had to fill it up every once in a while. then i told her it took 20-30 min to leak it all out from max. maybe you should know that when you first step on the brake, it takes at least 1-2 seconds for it to respond and start stopping.i just though that maybe you guys might have had this problem, and you might know the owner. i have the car for anothers 3 months and would like to get it painted and running properly before i return it to the wife.

Either the bleeder screw came loose, or maybe it's time to rebuild the calipers,or replace. ALL leaks out? I wouldn't be driving the car like that either.
HTH,
Paul

PM leaks

I'd PARK IT!! Before you park it thru the back wall of your shop.. or worse, up somebodys tailpipe!!:rolleyes:
The leaks come in various places.Some to look at are:
The high psi hose at the rear of the unit.
The seals that are between the resevior and M/C.
The pump.
The seal on the accumulator ball. That's HIGH PSI!!
The switch at the rear of the res..
Bottom line is: A total rebuild of the system.

HTH, ;)

well i know its not the calipers, its seems to be leaking from on the driver side, to the rear from where the a-arm bolts to the frame, some where above that.

okay, i jacked the car up and down, added brake fluid and the leak seems to be coming from this black box thing right underneath the brake refill cup or rather the master cylinder. the front brake fluids run into that black box. well anyways, i added, drove around and noticed smoke. i drove home parked, opened the hood and added fluid. i heard this sucking noise like the fluid was being sucked down then this squirting noise, this squirted brake fluid onto the HOT header and started a fire. so i put ut out as fast as i could. now im pretty much stuck.....

mista808

Where will you be tomorrow? I can stop by to take a look at it for you.

Might be the feedline for the brake fluid resevior going to the powermaster motor.

im sure its not the line feeding the motor, cuz i checked that. its more to the rear or that motor, cuz it made a sucking noise when the fluid was low so i added, then it squirted it out onto the header.

i was told from a guy on the speedhawaii board that this unit with yellow writing on the side is the powermaster. i was watching it yesterday and saw brake fluid leaking out through this 1.5 in crack on the top. anyone know what i can do? how much would this part cost me? and if anyone has a trailer i can borrow to tow it to the paint booth and back...?

I made the speed hi post. Depending on what is cracked, I might have parts for it. These are expensive new or rebuilt.

Trailer?

You got the right guy, but you should still do the repairs to the brakes first...

Robert

nah, see its not my car. i'd fix it right this moment if it were FULL ON my fault, but the main thing that i have to acomplish here body work and paint, cuz the owner comes back i believe sometime in may, and i told the wife what happened to relay the message to him and i cant let this hold me from finishing this car cuz ive had it for 3 months already.
but yeah when i do need a trailer to move the GN around, would it be okay with you?

Trailer comes with truck, and driver. Cost : Lunch....and gas money(or gas). when are you planning on doing this...? And we are going to take it to the school to paint? What size tires are on the car, and what kind of rims? (asking because trailer is kind of narrow, but stock wheels/tires will fit... anything larger and we will have to measure track width front and rear...)

Actually, I would think that they want this fixed before painting this car? (why make it all nice, then mess with brake fluid) You did say that the owners wife said this problem existed prior to you working on it, right?

Rob

well she said she would have to add every once in a while. i guess while it was in my hands it got worse.

HI RAY.. DAVE SAW THAT YOU POSTED A THREAD HERE AND TOLD ME TO CHECK IT OUT.. HI TO ALL THE TURBO BUICK GUYS.. THIS IS JAZMIN.. I KNOW, I KNOW, THE CAR ALWAYS HAS PROBLEMS! ANYHOW, I TALKED TO DAVID AND HE DOESNT KNOW WHAT TO DO AT THE MOMENT BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW WHAT EXACTLY IS WRONG WITH IT..IT USED TO LEAK BRAKE FLUID BEFORE, THEN I TOOK IT TO A SHOP AND CHANGED THE RESEVOIR AND IT NEVER LEAKED AGAIN.. UNTIL NOW I GUESS.. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM... I HOPE THAT ONE OF THE GUYS HERE IS ABLE TO HELP US OUT... KEEP ME POSTED- YOU HAVE MY NUMBER.