Brake light comes on

MistaScott

Abnormally Aspirated
My brake light flashes for a sec when I hit the brakes. From previous posts I've gathered that this is not normal? Also I have noticed the pedal locks from time to time. What is going on here?

My brake light used to come on for a second then go out at every brake application. A new accumulator ball fixed the problem for me. My brake pedal never "locked" however.

Seems like your master cylinder is going, i had the same problem i purchased a new one and it fixed the problem ,

The accumulator is definitely on its way out. I am now contemplating whether to get the Autozone replacement unit($200 for all PM components), just the accumulator ($100) or vacuum conversion. I know vac is better in the long run but it is a PITA to install. Does anyone know how long accumulators last on average?

I did the vacuum conversion years ago - before the $149 lifetime warranty rebuilds.
Other local guys have also done the vacuum conversion & are pleased with it.

I had TOO MANY problems with the vacuum conversion & went back to the PM. I'm looking into a hydroboost conversion, but the PM is working fine.

The following link is to a great article on Powermasters and hydraulic brake systems in general. It tells you all about how they work and how they fail.

I was surprised to learn that many 80s-early 90s Audis, BMWs and Jaguars used the same system. I came across the article while trying to find out about my accumulator. Just thought I'd throw this in:

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0BQA/10_79/66528652/p1/article.jhtml?term=