You can type here any text you want

Brake light do not come on

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
There is a switch on the brake pedal. Its nylon & will "click" into place when you pull on it. Slide it in all the way & slowly apply the brakes. Happens to everyone at some point. Once adjusted it will be fine unless its messed up but I doubt it.

If your flashers or blinkers still light then it may be the brake switch located on the column under the dash. Also there is a white wire that runs above the vent under the column that is not making connection. I had a problem with a bad connection with the white wire and it took forever to figure it out. Good luck.

If your flashers or blinkers still light then it may be the brake switch located on the column under the dash. Also there is a white wire that runs above the vent under the column that is not making connection. I had a problem with a bad connection with the white wire and it took forever to figure it out. Good luck.

Anyone have a diagram??

Might find one at vortexbuicks-etc.com or GNTTYPE.org You can check out Jeremy the CD guy (search that) for a manual on CD.

**** I can not get this thing to work.........What else can I do or how much is this part???

Brake switch

Took the stamped out nut off and bent the tabs making it tighter to screw the switch on, adjusted switch and then gorilla glued it so it wouldn't slip out ain't had no problems for well over a year. Had been using an AutoLock for security it fits on the brake pedal if you put it on and pull to hard eventually the switch slips out.

inally took a real good look under the dash. Both of them are touching there arfe two different tyoe if buttons that the brake touches. But I take it the main one is the one with the Vacum hose on it. So maybe it is the switch????:mad: any other takes??

The one with the vacum hose is not for your brakes. It is for your cruise control. It is the switch that turns your cruise off when you hit the brakes. The other one is the brake switch. I had a similar problem with my brakes once, and it turned out to be a loose connection where the wires that are inside the steering column hook into the wiring harness in the dash(two big black connectors that attatch to the right base of the steering column). I would suggest getting a volt meter and checking for 12 volts at the switch. If I remember right there is and orange and white wire which are the power wires. One should be 12 volts at all times(the orange I think) and the other only when the pedal is pushed. If you test this and get 12 volts on both wires then your switch is fine and the problem is elsewhere. Just keep going along testing your various connections. Heres another thing too. I know it is highly unlikely that they are all burned out, but your bulbs for your taillights are double filiment bulbs(one for running lights other for braking) check and make sure they arent all burnt out. Also check your fuse block to see if theres any blown fuses.

The one with the vacum hose is not for your brakes. It is for your cruise control. It is the switch that turns your cruise off when you hit the brakes. The other one is the brake switch. I had a similar problem with my brakes once, and it turned out to be a loose connection where the wires that are inside the steering column hook into the wiring harness in the dash(two big black connectors that attatch to the right base of the steering column). I would suggest getting a volt meter and checking for 12 volts at the switch. If I remember right there is and orange and white wire which are the power wires. One should be 12 volts at all times(the orange I think) and the other only when the pedal is pushed. If you test this and get 12 volts on both wires then your switch is fine and the problem is elsewhere. Just keep going along testing your various connections. Heres another thing too. I know it is highly unlikely that they are all burned out, but your bulbs for your taillights are double filiment bulbs(one for running lights other for braking) check and make sure they arent all burnt out. Also check your fuse block to see if theres any blown fuses.

Will check on that but all bulbs work when lights are on even the third light doesn't work...Advance auto parts looked up the Brake switch and he said that they had two...one with the vacume and one without. which I saw on there computer it said Brake switch: Cruise control and non cruise control. But I will take your word on it.

Well the one with the vacum lines is a brake switch. It is just to turn off your cruise control and it doesnt deal with your actual brake lights. The one that deals with your brake lights is the one that has just the wires hooked up to it. If you want to I think the switch is only like $5 so its a cheap and easy thing to try first, or I think I have an extra I can just send you if youd like. Then if that still doesnt fix it, get a volt meter and just start at the switch and go through your wiring. The chiltons manuals have a cheesy wiring diagram if you have one or get one, but it will be enough to help you work your way back from the brake switch. If I remember right the power goes to the switch then from there all the way up into your steering column to your turn signal switch, then back down and hooks into the main wiring harness with those black plastic multi wire clips. That is as far as I had to test when I had my brake light problem. So if I were you I would check to make sure that your brake switch was getting power and sending it, and if it is then go right to the wire plug at the bottom right of the column and check there as well as it can work itself loose and get dirty connections easy. HTH Dusty

Well the one with the vacum lines is a brake switch. It is just to turn off your cruise control and it doesnt deal with your actual brake lights. The one that deals with your brake lights is the one that has just the wires hooked up to it. If you want to I think the switch is only like $5 so its a cheap and easy thing to try first, or I think I have an extra I can just send you if youd like. Then if that still doesnt fix it, get a volt meter and just start at the switch and go through your wiring. The chiltons manuals have a cheesy wiring diagram if you have one or get one, but it will be enough to help you work your way back from the brake switch. If I remember right the power goes to the switch then from there all the way up into your steering column to your turn signal switch, then back down and hooks into the main wiring harness with those black plastic multi wire clips. That is as far as I had to test when I had my brake light problem. So if I were you I would check to make sure that your brake switch was getting power and sending it, and if it is then go right to the wire plug at the bottom right of the column and check there as well as it can work itself loose and get dirty connections easy. HTH Dusty

I bought a new switch and that wasn't it now I have to check if it is getting power down there.:mad:

Yeah once you get a volt meter and can start tracing down where your power is and isnt getting to then you should be able to find your prbolem really quick. What I would do since I had a problem in my connection where the steering column tied into the main wiring harness, I would depress the brake pedel so the swich should be activated and wiggle the wires going in and out of the plug seeing if when they are wiggled if the lights will go on. If they do hten your problem is in the plug like mine was. You will have to take it apart and clean the connections.

Yeah once you get a volt meter and can start tracing down where your power is and isnt getting to then you should be able to find your prbolem really quick. What I would do since I had a problem in my connection where the steering column tied into the main wiring harness, I would depress the brake pedel so the swich should be activated and wiggle the wires going in and out of the plug seeing if when they are wiggled if the lights will go on. If they do hten your problem is in the plug like mine was. You will have to take it apart and clean the connections.

This is the mess I have to deal with...
100_2255.jpg

:mad:

Not being stupid...

When I first got my car running I checked all the lights, had no brake lights on one tail light. Turned out the "nubs on the bottom of the bulbs were wrong and had to play musical chairs with them to get them to twist in right and line up correctly-just some input. Does your third brake light work? THere should be a wiring diagram in the regal haynes manual for the brake light and tail lights. I'd start from the tail light sockets and work back. Maybe a bad ground. I think tail light harness are a bad thing in these cars. My 79 was messed up adn jdpolzin had to replace the harness in his car earlier this year. maybe he'll chime in and tell u where to go. At this point a test light is your best friend. Start aat easy to get to points and go from there. wedge a stick on your brake pedal and go to work:biggrin:

When I first got my car running I checked all the lights, had no brake lights on one tail light. Turned out the "nubs on the bottom of the bulbs were wrong and had to play musical chairs with them to get them to twist in right and line up correctly-just some input. Does your third brake light work? THere should be a wiring diagram in the regal haynes manual for the brake light and tail lights. I'd start from the tail light sockets and work back. Maybe a bad ground. I think tail light harness are a bad thing in these cars. My 79 was messed up adn jdpolzin had to replace the harness in his car earlier this year. maybe he'll chime in and tell u where to go. At this point a test light is your best friend. Start aat easy to get to points and go from there. wedge a stick on your brake pedal and go to work:biggrin:

Nope thied brake light doesn't come on. All bulbs works when I turn on my lights but when I push on my brakes they do not turn brighter showing that I pushed my brakes.

Well if it was me this is what I would do. One of those wires, or maybe 2 has got to be a hotwire going to that switch. Start by pulling your fuses. Pull every one that DOESN't have anything to do with the engine. After that get your wiring diagram and find out where your grounds are and where your "HOT" feeds are. There's gotta be hot going in and hot going out when the brake is pressed. It can't be that big of a deal. If you're good there chase down your tail light wiring. Possibility of corrosion somewhere. I'd be more than happy to help but I'm an hour and a half away. Keep it simple. Follow the diagram, and make sure you are reading it correctly-take your time. Wiring isn't hard unless you let it be, or if you don't have diagrams. If it comes down to it I'll jump on the phone sometime and TRY to help you out.

Back