You can type here any text you want

Brake Q -

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chicagoTTA

Crack Baby
As you can clearly see from my 'list of parts that can kiss my a$$ thread' (add to it!) I replaced my pads/lines.

They don't squeak, and are worth EVERY PENNY and all the cussin. But, sometimes at slow speeds (like pulling into a garage) there is this groaning/humming sound. The same sound a stock tta/gta makes (with stock pads) when going in reverse slowly.

I gently broke the pads in by doing many controlled stops. 10mph, 20mph, 30 etc. 2-3 times each. Had no sudden/hard stops. Even at stop lights, after I slowed down enough, let it roll another foot or two so the hot pads weren't on the same hot part of rotor (NEVER get warped rotors this way!!!!).

Sounds like old pads would if they were 'glazed'.

I also used a can of this Gunk stuff. It looks (sorta) like silver paint. Small can. Fills in imperfections in rotors/pads and kills any cause of squeek. Good sh*t.

Any ideas why this might happen? I've done tons of brake jobs for all my cars, my friends, etc. Never had this happen.

It's not all the time. But say 45% of the time.

WTF? :confused:

Thats what ya get for driving the car like a *****.

Drive it like you stole it.. show it who's boss.... It will get better or beaten down.

Nice guys finish last.. give it some abuse like it was meant to get.. watch it get better.

Ya still luv me even tho these aren't STOCK pads???? ;)

I'm gonna go out tomorrow and KICK IT's A$$.

Thanks J!

Although I'm gonna drive it like it's stolen (my plates say stolen BTW!), do you think that will stop the noise? Or just show it who's boss?

Ya make me wanna go out and kick it in the tires right now. It's makin a bit**h outta me!:eek:

BTW y'all, if you haven't done it yet, do yourself a favor.

Get Earl's SS brake like kit, PN 28A190. I think it was like $95 from Summit and Jeg's.

Then the RayBestos QS ceramic pads. Fronts PGD412QS @115.00 and rears PGD413QS @ 89.12.

AutoZone (at least here in Chi-town) doesn't carry them. Napa doesn't either. I called around and found them in stock at PepBoys.

Lemme tell you, THIS should be the FIRST MOD everyone should do. Certainly a 100% improvement.

Firm pedal, killer stopping power. Best 300 clams you could spend.

You won't be sorry, and once you feel the difference you'll wonder how you felt safe with the old brakes.

M

groans and moans

Since the elusive weird groan in reverse was mentioned, I am curious as to whether those of you who have experienced this think it is a front or rear brake issue. That noise sure sounds to me like it is from the front,and yet there is a service bulletin out that calls for special dampers attached to the rear caliper brackets. What do you folks think? My old ears sometimes have trouble with direction lately...

83 -

I too am convinced it's coming from the front. And my ears are new. Got 'em on Ebay last week.

All my T/A's - GTA's have done this too.I used to think it was wheel rub, but started to notice it even happens without turning the wheel.

Any ideas? I'm sure we all have or had this at some point.

Okay - UPDATE

First, we all know that when pads get 'glazed' they make the same sounds that I described. I just found it hard to believe that I glazed them in 20 miles, and after careful break-in / no hard stops.

What I found out was this: Although the can doesn't say it, 6-8 mechanics I talked to agreed. When they used the spray (disc quiet, and the like) on ceramics they run into all sorts of problems. Glazing is one of them. :mad:

The spray greatly affects the heat dissipation abilities of the ceramic pads. We all also know that excessive heat causes glazing. Ergo, the issue I have. :mad:

I am going to go back to the autoparts store, and hit the guy who suggested it's use (self-proclaimed race car driver) square in the head... and get replacement pads. :rolleyes:

Lesson learned: DO NOT use any type of disc quieting spray on ceramics. Period.

M

noise

All problems are not solved by whacking your neighbor or throwing a fit. Frustration leads to heart problems. Chill!
Just kidding, you should see me when I'm on a rant... Good feedback. Dale

Back