You can type here any text you want

Brake Upgrade ?'s

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87Turbo-TWE4

I hear that you can you can use S-10 braling components for an upgrade. Can somebody give me a link or the part #s I need to do this?

it would probably be cheaper to adapt C4 Vette or LS1 F body 12" discs than it would be to buy the S10 parts and bolt them on.
of course, your stock wheels and other 15" wheels may or may not clear the brakes...

it would probably be cheaper to adapt C4 Vette or LS1 F body 12" discs than it would be to buy the S10 parts and bolt them on.
of course, your stock wheels and other 15" wheels may or may not clear the brakes...

Well let's see.

Steering knuckles- $29 ea at salvage yard (2 needed)
Calipers---------- $10 ea at salvage yard (2 needed)
Hub assemblys--- $67 ea on evilbay new (2 needed)
Rotors----------- $75 ea for good ones (2needed)

This comes to $362. Not a bad price for better braking and it fits in the stock 15" wheel.:biggrin: And it's all a bolt on! No modification other than an alignment.:biggrin:

I picked up the whole setup for $130 for the front and $30 for the rear wheel cylinders.

Well let's see.

This comes to $362. Not a bad price for better braking and it fits in the stock 15" wheel.:biggrin: And it's all a bolt on! No modification other than an alignment.:biggrin:

you forgot the brake pads..
now run those same numbers with the new parts that you will need when one of those used junkyard calipers decide to seize up and eat up the brake pads and maybe the rotor..

price for new or reman LS1 F body stuff from Rockauto.com:

2 Raybestos rotors : $61.58
2 calipers with brackets: $121.58 --price includes $10 each for cores--
brake pads: $27.99
---------
total before shipping: $211.15

throw in new wheel bearings and seals just because it's a good time to do it, and the total becomes $243.91.

add on another $50 for braided brake lines, and a little bit for the machine work to turn your stock rotors down to hubs, and a few hours of fabrication to make the caliper brackets (or buy them) and modify your stock spindles...
you might even get lucky and clear some 15" wheels. if in doubt, find someone that owns a 98-02 Camaro or Firebird and see if you can test fit your wheels.

you forgot the brake pads..
now run those same numbers with the new parts that you will need when one of those used junkyard calipers decide to seize up and eat up the brake pads and maybe the rotor..

price for new or reman LS1 F body stuff from Rockauto.com:

2 Raybestos rotors : $61.58
2 calipers with brackets: $121.58 --price includes $10 each for cores--
brake pads: $27.99
---------
total before shipping: $211.15

throw in new wheel bearings and seals just because it's a good time to do it, and the total becomes $243.91.

add on another $50 for braided brake lines, and a little bit for the machine work to turn your stock rotors down to hubs, and a few hours of fabrication to make the caliper brackets (or buy them) and modify your stock spindles...
you might even get lucky and clear some 15" wheels. if in doubt, find someone that owns a 98-02 Camaro or Firebird and see if you can test fit your wheels.

Um...the S-10 units don't use a repackable bearing so that eliminates that. The S-10 units don't need machining either.:biggrin: The calipers run $40 each exchange if you want rebuilt ones, with a $42 core charge if you don't have an exchange. The rotors at AZ are $50 each but they are chinese. This give you an 11" front brake system that's a direct bolt on.

At that point all you need to do is pick your brake pads. Um...anything from $20 to what ever you want to spend. Not a bad deal.

Well let's see.

You wouldn't happen to have part#'s from GM or any parts store because I'm having a hard time finding these parts at a local salvage yard (I'm in Nashville). Any help is appreciated.

Good luck finding the 2wd blazer spindals I could find a set any ware I have given up and Im going with the stock replacment wildwood calipers now Ill have closer to 500 in every thing now with new rotors and brake lines. It would have been nice to have a bigger rotor but the stockers will be fine for now.

You wouldn't happen to have part#'s from GM or any parts store because I'm having a hard time finding these parts at a local salvage yard (I'm in Nashville). Any help is appreciated.

Sorry but I don't. There are a couple of yards in Smyrna that should have the parts you need. I used to live in smufreesboro myself and those were the ones that had the parts I needed most of the time. Good luck.

Um...the S-10 units don't use a repackable bearing so that eliminates that. The S-10 units don't need machining either.:biggrin: The calipers run $40 each exchange if you want rebuilt ones, with a $42 core charge if you don't have an exchange. The rotors at AZ are $50 each but they are chinese. This give you an 11" front brake system that's a direct bolt on.

since when is it a bad thing to have to do a little fabrication?
i realize that you could just bolt on the S10 stuff, but for a little extra work you can have the better LS1 F body brakes. and i'm personally not a fan of the sealed bearing/hub assemblies so i'll avoid them as much as i can.

if car downtime is an issue, then just add on the cost of a pair of junkyard spindles and brake rotors to make into hubs ($50) so you don't have to modify your originals and do all the fabrication on the work bench before you even take a wheel off your car. if you don't have to buy wheels, it still comes in cheaper than the bolt on S10 pieces, and you get to point out to anyone who will listen that you made that front brake setup fit onto your car.

Back