brakes

Stephen Gibson

Just a participant,Honest
I have converted my brake system to a new vacuum system and when I'm on it like tonight at the track the pedal is hard and I have to mash the **** out of it briefly before it softens and puts me thru the windshield what gives? Stephen

I also have vac. brakes on my GN. While doing a burn out I would go into boost and therefor lose vac., then try to hit the brakes and the same problem, it would be a hard pedal. I put a line lock on the front brakes, this solved the problem. It allows the booster to get vacuum back before you do a burnout, that way when you hit the brakes afterwards your brakes will work. I also considered putting a vac. canister on, but so far the line lock alone has been enough.

The check valve on the booster (plastic elbow where hose connects) should keep boost out, and the booster itself acts as a vacuum reservoir giving you at least 2-3 pumps of the pedal with assist. Even without the line lock I could footbrake for the burnout, lift off the brake to roll out of the water, then lift off gas and hit brakes at the same time so I was still under boost when I hit the brakes, and would have plenty of assist. Check your check valve.

Thanks Guy's for input I will look into both things ,I felt like an idiot when I did my burout as I shot past the eyes and the guy was having a coniption.I backed up and then launched after tree was set,And didn't want to keep on having this problem as I only got 2 runs in. Stephen

My brakes are fine after the burnout, but at the end of the quarter is when It takes a while to grab. I'll check the checkvalve just to make sure though. Make sure you tie wrap the vac. line though, I took my plenum off and forgot to rewrap the line, well it blew off and what a surprise at the end of the quarter:eek: :eek:

Even if the check valve is good, which mine is, if you depress the brakes before your burnout you use what vacuum there is in the booster. Therefore, while doing a burnout the car goes into boost and no vacuum is created in the booster. While you roll out of the box, still under acceleration, and try to depress the brake pedal to stop, vacuum has not yet restored back in the booster and this can be what causes a stiff pedal. That IS why my brakes do not work after a burnout and why I went with a line lock(easier on the rear brakes also) . Other than the burnout , I do not have anyother problems. A stiff pedal at the end of a race could possibly be a leaky valve.

I had both problems ,a burnout would cause pedal to be hard momentarily and at end of track pedal was hard and delayed on responsiveness,I'm thinking about a canister as a street race could get ugly.All the parts on my system are brand new .
Stephen

Summit and Jegs have nice ones.

For da V8's with big cams. that don't produce much vacuum.

Guy's another question has crossed my space between my ears,doesn't the turbo T/A have a regular style brake system not the vacuum assisted type like on the TR ? How do they maintain vacuum when they are geting on it? i ask as I'm not familiar with the T/A ssytem. Stephen

I saw that Bandit ( Jeremy ) has a vacumn canister on his car to solve that.
Tarey D.