You can type here any text you want

Brf,bq, or CR, HELP!!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NorCalTurbos

Slowing down to SPEED UP!!!
I don't know much about transmissions but I'm thinking I have the wrong set up which is giving me a serious headache. Today I looked at the tag on my trans and it has CR on it. I never heard anyone say anything about this model my car also has a converter that has a 6 on it.... Wtf I only hear about D5 or something aftermarket. I'm gonna try and post pics, maybe this has been my no power issue the whole time

The only way to know for sure what's in the trans is to drop the pan and see what valve body and governor are in it. Also check the servo casting number on the side of the trans (round cover on the passenger side) and check to see if the wiring plug has all 4 pins in the housing. But it don't sound too good to start off...

The only way to know for sure what's in the trans is to drop the pan and see what valve body and governor are in it. Also check the servo casting number on the side of the trans (round cover on the passenger side) and check to see if the wiring plug has all 4 pins in the housing. But it don't sound too good to start off...
image.png

Monte SS trans?
Why are you starting multiple threads on the same topic? it makes following you, a bit confusing...

The plug only has 3 pins. At this point should I do a shift kit and tc upgrade or pull this thing and start with the brf and go from there???

A good shift kit will do wonders for the shift feel and longevity. It won't do shit for the wot shift timing (rpm) which is the main thing that's hard to duplicate with a standard 200-4r. Depends on your budget. If the thing is acting up, a shift kit isn't going to fix it. And if it needs a rebuild you are better off with a different trans as a starting point. Grab a br, bq, CQ, cz, or other known performance core.

A good shift kit will do wonders for the shift feel and longevity. It won't do shit for the wot shift timing (rpm) which is the main thing that's hard to duplicate with a standard 200-4r. Depends on your budget. If the thing is acting up, a shift kit isn't going to fix it. And if it needs a rebuild you are better off with a different trans as a starting point. Grab a br, bq, CQ, cz, or other known performance core.
Thanks.... I'm breakin out my piggy bank open right now, this explains why I get the pinging but no kr on my scanmaster it's like driving a 5speed and you stay in first too long. I appreciate your time and I'm looking for a good trans near me so I don't spend my tc money on shipping. Hopefully I get lucky

If you don't have a high perf core to start with, it's worth a call to Lonnie at extreme automatics. He is taking low perf valve bodies and setting them up to shift like a brf. Buddy of mine has one, wide open throttle rips like no other, the part throttle isn't exactly spot on imo but seeing only one trans, I don't wanna dog the idea because it may be an isolated case. And Lonnie is putting forth the effort to bridge the supply and demand gap in the land of performance cores so I'm all for it. It would sure beat what you have and you wouldn't even have to ship a core back to him.

I don't know much about transmissions but I'm thinking I have the wrong set up which is giving me a serious headache. Today I looked at the tag on my trans and it has CR on it. I never heard anyone say anything about this model my car also has a converter that has a 6 on it.... Wtf I only hear about D5 or something aftermarket. I'm gonna try and post pics, maybe this has been my no power issue the whole time

Can't go wrong with Lonnie. One of the best transmission people out there! I have a stock brf that's in great shape if you're interested. I'm going to a 400 from Lonnie.

Sorry sometimes I'm a dumbass, so your saying that my trans is from a monte?

NOT a dumass. Just try to continue w/ 1 thread, when discussing something.
Lots of info on Google:
These codes can be found on the passenger side of the transmission near the output shaft. Sometimes they are hard to read due to the catalytic convertor getting in the way. The valve body itself will have the first two letters painted on it. Be careful because the paint comes off easily. The special valve bodies usually have a purple strip on them also.
TH-200-R4 ID's:
ID Year(s) Application
KZF ** Olds 442/Hurst
CZF ** Monte SS
BRF ** GN/T-Type/Turbo Regals
OZ ** Hurst Olds
OM Olds 350 Diesels
OG Olds 307
BY V-6 252 Cars
AA and AP Cadillac's

More info from the g body guys..
The best 200 4R trans have an 'F' as the 3rd digit of the letter code. ie. CZF, above. These are 1986 and later. Some of the costly items usually installed by a specialty trans builder are already in these trans.
The G body 200 4R trans have the following codes:
Chevy, CR; Monte SS, CQ, CZ.
Buicks, BY; turbo-T and GN/GNX, BQ, BR.
Pontiac, CC, CY, CH; 2+2, CA.
Olds, KB, KJ, KT; Hurst, OZ, KZ.
The question about a Caddy with a 200 4R trans are coded AA, AP.
The 'F' upgrade trans have different hydraulic control components and the rotating group is about the same.

Last edited:
The CR trans comes out of a monte carlo. The D6 will be a much lower stall and the car will feel very lazy with it. I can re calibrate the non performance CR core to work correctly similar to the BR. I do them all the time. The CR can can be made to have shift points at full throttle like a BR. The around town will be very performance oriented, but never like a true BR. Most who have never had a good working BR wouldn't know the difference. If you need any more info, give me a call.

Last edited:
No ? Lonnie is very good, however it's damn hard to pass on David Husek!!!

Can't go wrong with Dave if he's willing to mod what you have. Actually, daves probably going to give you a lot less runaround than Lonnie. I didn't know Dave was modding low perf cores.

After dealing with David Husek on 2 different trans builds I would never go anywhere else!!! Top mktxh doesn't even begin to describe the service and knowledge.

The CR trans comes out of a monte carslo. The D6 will be a much lower stall and the car will feel very lazy with it. I can re calibrate the non performance CR core to work correctly similar to the BR. I do them all the time. The CR can can be made to have shift points at full throttle like a BR. The around town will be very performance oriented, but never like a true BR. Most who have never had a good working BR wouldn't know the difference. If you need any more info, give me a call.
Sorry for the late response, but I've been looking at your page and my mind has been made up for weeks. I didn't know I had the wrong trans at the time, so now I'm looking for a good brf to have built by you my concern is shipping cost. I will be calling you as soon as I can.

6 is a D6. D5 would have 5's stamped all around. Didn't see the D stamped, so I assume it's not stamped D5 as they are referring to. Here's a picture of my tag.

Attachments

• 1453650472330.jpg
    1453650472330.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 110
Back