brightening 87' Turbo T wheels

Larry

I have one with 700 miles on it. Its been sitting and I need to brighten up the stock wheels. Can anyone suggest a product. Thanks Larry

Eagle 1 aluminum mag cleaner, sold at probably every major auto parts store...Works Great!!! Spray it on...leave a couple of minutes, spray it off....if you've got some tough spots...repeat..

When all else fails, paint 'em!

Attachments

• t-wheel silv 01.jpg
    t-wheel silv 01.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 326
What color did you use Red? Is that a spray can product or do you use a paint gun to get that look?

Anyone have powder coated T wheels?

Originally posted by jshilli1
What color did you use Red? Is that a spray can product or do you use a paint gun to get that look?

Anyone have powder coated T wheels?

What's nice about it is that it is a spray can product. You've probably seen it at various chain auto supplies. It's called "bumper chrome". These photos were from a while back, but I just recently, within the last few weeks, bought a can at Pep Boys. My T wheels were just flat gray at the time, so I tried the bumper chrome. I thought it was a great improvement at a low cost. :cool:

Originally posted by Red Regal T
What's nice about it is that it is a spray can product. You've probably seen it at various chain auto supplies. It's called "bumper chrome". These photos were from a while back, but I just recently, within the last few weeks, bought a can at Pep Boys. My T wheels were just flat gray at the time, so I tried the bumper chrome. I thought it was a great improvement at a low cost. :cool:

Did you prime them? What did you use if you did? Were they media blasted before painting? How well did the paint hold up after some street time? I'm considering doing mine real soon and would appreciate any details you could provide. Those look great, I hope I can get mine looking that nice. Thanks

I use "Bush's Wheel Cleaner-For Severly Oxidized Uncoated Aluminum Wheels" Without any scrubbing they come almost white looking they are so clean. With a little elbow grease they look like brand new. And when I got my wheels they were pretty rough. I get it at a local A&A Auto Parts. Not sure where u can find it but I'll search around on the net and maybe find a website that sells it.

Originally posted by Rage
Did you prime them? What did you use if you did? Were they media blasted before painting? How well did the paint hold up after some street time? I'm considering doing mine real soon and would appreciate any details you could provide. Those look great, I hope I can get mine looking that nice. Thanks

Before I even got the idea to paint them, I had been cleaning my T wheels with muriatic acid. Cleaned them fine, but they were just a dull gray all over. Just spray the silver......no primer.

My car was being driven quite a lot, and the paint held up well. Thing is, if you have a show to put your car in and you want them to look perfect, it doesn't take long to re-do. I'd just take a rag and soak it with lacquer thinner. You just have to dust this stuff on......no heavy coats. Any overspray on the tires, just wipe off with the lacquer thinner.

If you have a lot of time on your hands like Grand Nash :D, do what he did 'cause his wheels look beautiful. ;)

Originally posted by TRYMY231S
Some good lookin' rims there! You mind sharing what all it takes to do that?

Thanks!

I would also like some details

Red Regal T, thanks for the reply, your info should come in handy