You can type here any text you want

Buick 231 turbo in chev luv vibration problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

luvspeed

I have either a 78 or 79 Buick 231 v6 with turbo in an older chev luv pickup. Need help to solve vitration problem in motor. I have a new balancer, had fly wheel balanced, 55 grams under balanced machine shop said that is spec. Have good compression 110 lbs each cyl. I have taken off the clutch and all u-belts and at idle has some vibration at 1200 RPM vibrates real bad, too bad to drive. This is Mrs. luvspeed typing this for my husband, so I hope this makes sense :) I know it has been driving my husband crazy ever since he got this $50 bargain. Any help would be appreciated. :wink:

luvspeed said:
I have either a 78 or 79 Buick 231 v6 with turbo in an older chev luv pickup. Need help to solve vitration problem in motor. I have a new balancer, had fly wheel balanced, 55 grams under balanced machine shop said that is spec. Have good compression 110 lbs each cyl. I have taken off the clutch and all u-belts and at idle has some vibration at 1200 RPM vibrates real bad, too bad to drive. This is Mrs. luvspeed typing this for my husband, so I hope this makes sense :) I know it has been driving my husband crazy ever since he got this $50 bargain. Any help would be appreciated. :wink:

With that bad of a vibration, are you sure it's not a dead cylinder or two? I'd check plugs, wires, firing order, timing, distributor cap, rotor, etc to make sure that's all right. On a 50$ engine you never know...

231 turbo vibration in motor

Thanks for the reply, the cylinders all have good compression, checked the plugs, wires, firing order, timing, dist cap, rotor etc, I have had others look at it as well, motor runs really good, is very quick, just can't figure out where the vibration is coming from. I'm open to any suggestions.

This is going to sound weird but I had the same issue awhile back. It got so bad it shook the car. After doing everything I could think of, I pulled the valve covers and pressed down on the rockers of each cylinder. The lifters in the engine where not holding prime and would no longer pump up. If the pushrods can easily be pressed down you may have the same problem. I over revved it once really hard thus I must have killed them. Anyway, I replaced the lifters and now it runs smooth again. Told ya it sounds weird.

does it have a catalitic convertor?what kind of distributer?
could it have the odd fire distributer?bad carb?any smoke from tailpipe?
vacuum leaks?would need more on the engine setup as
could be various things
blown headgaskets between cyl(happens on turbos alot)
flat cam ,weak valves/guides
is there anything is oil or radiator that doesnt look right?
carb good?vacuum line to dist on ported vacuum?
either way sounds like it could be some kind of miss
i would run it for a while then pull plugs and inspect for wetness
andy

Back