adding 78/9 turbo setup to 1987 231 v6 in a regal?

yea the Riv turbo system is one you see even less often than the carbed regal sport coupe setups. There is an intake and a turbo setup from a riv on ebay now in separate auctions.

I did get the V6 book and it has lots of good info in it.

I am still considering whether to go thru the 1978 turbo engine I have or to find a 79+ setup to convert a na car. I should disassemble and inspect the 78 engine to see exactly what it would require.

yea the Riv turbo system is one you see even less often than the carbed regal sport coupe setups. There is an intake and a turbo setup from a riv on ebay now in separate auctions.

I did get the V6 book and it has lots of good info in it.

I am still considering whether to go thru the 1978 turbo engine I have or to find a 79+ setup to convert a na car. I should disassemble and inspect the 78 engine to see exactly what it would require.

Please do inspect whichever engine you use. That's what cost me the drawthrough engine in the picture I posted. It was full of crumbly pieces of an old nylon timing gear.

I tore the 78 231 turbo engine down this past weekend, and although it was absolutely FILTHY outside, the inside really wasnt bad. With a good cleaning it will be fine.

The engine is is good enough shape to do a hone / re-ring and gasket kit and let it run.

I can get a re ring kit for about $150 on ebay with Main and Rod bearings and intake valleypan so thats not too pricey an option.

A new timing set would be another item I would install.

Would there be any advantage to using the Edelbrock 5487 camshaft I have if I changed nothing else on the engine? Thanks for any thoughts

I tore the 78 231 turbo engine down this past weekend, and although it was absolutely FILTHY outside, the inside really wasnt bad. With a good cleaning it will be fine.

The engine is is good enough shape to do a hone / re-ring and gasket kit and let it run.

I can get a re ring kit for about $150 on ebay with Main and Rod bearings and intake valleypan so thats not too pricey an option.

A new timing set would be another item I would install.

Would there be any advantage to using the Edelbrock 5487 camshaft I have if I changed nothing else on the engine? Thanks for any thoughts

Glad you got a good core for the basis of your project!

These drawthrough and hotair engines can not use 'moar boost!!!' to make up for a poor breathing engine. The intake temperature leads to detonation before the engine can make really high boost. Therefore things like a cam or head work will really give a tangible benefit, due to free breathing without adding heat to the air charge. Since you already have the cam, and already have the engine torn down, there's really no reason NOT to use it, IMHO. :)

Sincerely,
David

Glad you got a good core for the basis of your project!

These drawthrough and hotair engines can not use 'moar boost!!!' to make up for a poor breathing engine. The intake temperature leads to detonation before the engine can make really high boost. Therefore things like a cam or head work will really give a tangible benefit, due to free breathing without adding heat to the air charge. Since you already have the cam, and already have the engine torn down, there's really no reason NOT to use it, IMHO. :)

Sincerely,
David

I like it when somebody knows what they are doing. This is the best advise.

I have decided on a course, I will rebuild the 78 231 I have, adding the Edelbrock cam and lifters erc that I have. Ive got a rering kit on the way and a timing set too.

Once built, I will either drop it in my 83Cutlass, or I will find a Buick Gbody to put it in (I prefer this option)

My goal is to build it for fun, and to see what I can tune out of it for performance...no expectations but I would be thrilled with 1/4 mile runs in the 15s.

Just thinking ahead I will be considering some kind of alcohol injection, a 160deg thermostat, a cold air intake setup, a ~22-2500 stall torque converter, a posi rear with maybe 3.42 gears,

I will start another thread for the project when it gets good and going.

Thanks for your replies.

I have decided on a course, I will rebuild the 78 231 I have, adding the Edelbrock cam and lifters erc that I have. Ive got a rering kit on the way and a timing set too.

Once built, I will either drop it in my 83Cutlass, or I will find a Buick Gbody to put it in (I prefer this option)

My goal is to build it for fun, and to see what I can tune out of it for performance...no expectations but I would be thrilled with 1/4 mile runs in the 15s.

Just thinking ahead I will be considering some kind of alcohol injection, a 160deg thermostat, a cold air intake setup, a ~22-2500 stall torque converter, a posi rear with maybe 3.42 gears,

I will start another thread for the project when it gets good and going.

Thanks for your replies.

Awesome!

When you start your new thread, it would be great if you post a link here, to help those who were following it here to find the new thread.
Sincerely,
David