You can type here any text you want

Buick engine 2pts ME 0!! HELP PLEASE!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

boosted3

:mad::confused::mad::confused: So at the end of last year before I put the car away I had a light tapping or ticking...Then i blew what i thought was a header gasket so i put the car away for the winter. This spring i replaced the header gaskets, along with upper intake (RJC Plate) and valve covers along with the turbo and the complete spring cleaning. Fired the car up and find out its actually a head gasket blown into the engine compartment. So i tear the car down replace the head gaskets and all the intake gaskets, valve covers again. Now up to 2 oil changes in 9 days. Fire it up last night and the ticking is still there. Took it for a ride and it would seem to disappear when the oil pressure would build up. then once warm if you let it idle for a little bit the ticking/knocking would come back. rev it up and it would go away again. i thought it was a lifter not pumping up. Oil pressure is 20-25 psi at idle and 45-60 psi when cruising. I took it out this morning and gave a rip through second gear at about 18 psi and it felt great! no knock. I let out of it a slowed down then all of a sudden the scanmaster started registering knock retard into the upper teens and the knocking was louder. It also seems to be idling like it lost a cylinder. I pulled each plug wire with the car running and there is no change in sound. Im assuming it is a collapsed lifter. the brand new castrol 10w30 and zddp that i put in last night is still perfectly clean. The car starts and idles and the oil pressure still remains the same. There is definitely a cylinder not firing correctly. Is it possible that this sound is actually coming from my timing chain and the cylinder down is actually a tooth skipped? I am at a loss for words. After dumping well over a grand into this car in the last 3 weeks i am not sure where to look next. i have contemplated rod bearings and new lifters. maybe timing set. Any suggestions? I can supply more info if needed. I just cant afford to keep throwing money into this thing at random.
thanks in advance! :mad::confused::mad::confused:

:D

1 or more flat lobes on the cam... remove the valve covers and watch the rocker arms.

Yes, it also ruins the bottom of the lifter. I take it its a flat tappet(stock style) cam?

yes it is....from what i was told its an aftermarket 210/205....i guess ill order up a 212/212 and lifters.

Make Sure Its A Flat Cam First......

If so....I hate to tell you but it's really not that easy. I would suggest going with a hyd roller kit from one of the vendors. See, the metal from the cam has worked its way all through your engine. It will need to be pulled, cleaned, and reassembled.
I have been in your shoes and swapped cams due to a worn lobe. The new one did the same thing in less than a week. If your handy, do most of the labor yourself and pay a "Buick Professional" to do what you can't. Do it once and do it right, or learn the hard, time consuming, expensive way.

i just replaced the head gaskets so ive cleaned everything but the bottom end already....i plan on doing an oil pan and rear main. so the bottom end will be cleaned...do you honestly think the block needs to be hot tanked. theres no buick professionals near me or i would love to have someone build it for me...unfortunately I am on my own! the oil is crystal clear. ive changed it twice in less than 2 weeks. i guess if the lobe wiped its because of an oiling problem on the cam?
thanks for all the input!

You will have to pull the valve covers and look for a lazy rocker arm. It may be something else but it sounds like a cam lobe going south.
By changing the oil twice like that you have gotten rid of the larger particles of metal. Use a magnetic drain plug next time and when you pull the pan look for a fine powder like coating. I hope its not but....

You will have to pull the valve covers and look for a lazy rocker arm. It may be something else but it sounds like a cam lobe going south.
By changing the oil twice like that you have gotten rid of the larger particles of metal. Use a magnetic drain plug next time and when you pull the pan look for a fine powder like coating. I hope its not but....

I'm pretty particular about everything on my Buick...i do in fact use a magnetic drain plug which has been clean....I also dump out my filters and inspect what comes out and every 3rd i cut open and inspect. I have not found any excessive amounts of metal anywhere....I will take the current one off tomorrow and cut it open and see if i can get any good pictures of what comes out of it.

Back