Buick V6 Streamliner

ek02

I was going through some photos I took at Bonneville Speed week in 2002 and 2003. There was an unblown gas streamliner that belonged to Laura and Nick Mays from Montana. I got to looking at it and found a N/A Buick V6 in it. I got to talking to Nick and he said he was a Buick V6 fan. The production block was to get the car sorted out. He had a 286" engine and a 180" Stage II. The liner went 214.9 MPH. I left before that run, so I don't know what engine was in it. I saw a 160 mph shakedown run with the production block. The car was sold in 2008 by Laura for unknown reasons, and has been sold several times since from what I could find out. I found some photos on the web of the Stage II block with a broken rod. Nick wanted to get Laura in the 200 mph club. He was already in it years before. They were the most friendly people I ever met. Laura offered to make my wife and I lunch! The new owners where going turbo with it. This car could easily go 300 mph' and more' safely. Here are some photos of the car and both engines. Note that the flywheel end faces the front of the car and the intake is on backwards. It was front wheel drive.

41-1-03.jpgP1010085.JPGP1010087.JPGP1010088.JPGDSC_0014.jpgDSC_0052.jpg

I think one of the later owners called me about Stage 2 info. He wanted a copy of the Buick book my bud, Dave Emanuel, wrote w/ Jim Ruggles.:cool:

I have that book that Dave Emanuel wrote. Now all I need is the Stage II. I believe that liner has changed hands a number of times. It was beautifully constructed. In 2002 there was a Firebird with a big turbo Stage II that went 295 MPH. In 2003 there was a 280Z with a NA Stage II. The owner just bought it and did not know much about the car. Not sure how it ran. I have been wanting to go back to the salt, but rental car companys will not rent a car if you tell them you are going to Wendover. The salt cannot be removed from the carpets. Most rooms are booked up a year in advance. I was lucky enough to get cancellations both times. The heat is incredible during the day but it's cold in the morning. Watching the Flatlfire liner getting a half pallot of ice crushed into the intercooler at 6:00 am was cool. Dick Landy built the turboed flathead that took it over 300 mph. I ran into him coming out of a liquor store, cigar in his mouth. Amazing machinist, but he since passed away.