Buinicorn my 64 Buick Wagon

SuperBuickGuy

Seems kind of strange to post this as a hybrid since it is a Buick motor in a Buick car - it does make sense in a twisted way.
My 1964 Buick Wagon

I was walking out of a swap meet in Monroe Washington a few weeks ago, and saw it. I've been looking for one for at least 5 years - a longroof wagon, not the amtrak-sky coach style, the handiman's car. No ps, no pb, no radio, just an honest wagon.... and it was $300 - delivered.
the car looked pretty-much rust-free (or at least as good as I've ever found)

came with a rebuilt, 4.10, posi rear (which probably won't stay in the end)

and a world of promise

I love Buicks, including this Buick

anyway. motors

The PO had a 350 chevy in it, fortunately, that was gone - and I do have choices. I have a 70 455, I've got the parts to build a 455 (now 430) that is destined for my 50 Sedanet that has twin turbos, edelbrock heads, a girdle and been sleeved so that the block hopefully will survive much boost..... but this needed to be a bit simpler and I really wanted it all to look and sound like grandpa's car... dare I say it, a sleeper.
to that end, I went with a choice not many would make... a hot-side GN motor

Yes, I know there are limitations - however, it will sound just like a grandpa car, and (tellingly) many people look at that motor now and say "did it come stock with that motor" (the answer is yes, yes it did). I've been debating what to do, some think I should pretty much ditch it all and build a 4.1 based motor, I could, as I do a lot of fab work, move the turbo to the side and plumb in an intercooler.... or.... I've run blowers, and their largest problem is heat. That can be solved with a number of mechanical solutions, or a simpler one.... chemical intercoolers (e.g. methanol or NOx), and that is the direction I'm starting to lean. It would be beyond simple to plumb in (and hide) a 250 cheater shot behind the turbo. Computer-wise, I'm planning on using a MS3x computer to run this beast....

Your opinions would be great to hear - however, just one caution/request. No personal attacks, my car, my money, get over it. It's going to be at least a couple months before I get to mechanical - I live near Sodom on the Sound (Seattle), and our 70+ degree days where I can paint the car is severely limited - so my first step is going to be fix the rust and paint the car. I'll pop in occasionally with updates, but until that's done there won't be much of anything interesting happening.... just paint drying.

Not sure how much it costs to get a car media blasted but with that much bondo, the time you'd save sanding it down to find all the issues could be worth the expense. Cool body style, my grandfather had a 65 sedan.

seriously considering it - but that takes the build to a higher level then planned.... that and I've been spending quality time on the last down-to-the-last-nut build I did chasing down rust issues that would have been a problem had I left its paint on it*

and silly as it sounds, I really am trying to keep from taking the body off the frame. On top of that, I'm pretty sure the rear cargo area wouldn't survive blasting but is saveable with POR 15 (or similar) coating.

* that build was supposed to be a build with parts I already had on stock axles with leaf springs.... sigh, I love the result, but really don't want to do it again (that said, wait until the 50 build happens and remind me of these words - I'll be eating them then).

This is the internet. No hiding from personal attacks here! That wagon is awesome though. I love the way she looks as is. I would rat rod the hell out of it. Nice score for $300! Can't wait to see her in action.

Julio on here is our alky guy...aka meth. His stuff is the best in the business. I think his website is alkycontrol.com

I'm leaning more and more to, presuming the engine is salvageable, to rebuilding the HA turbo motor, an putting a NOx dry nozzle in the back of the plenum. 54 lb injectors and it should be good for my target number of 500. Otherwise, docile as a kitten. E85 really isn't available around here, and hanging an intercooler under the front bumper kind of defeats the stealth.

As for the body - I'll do a bit of work some point next week to see if I can find doors. I have the lower quarters coming and the part that needs fixed about it on the passenger side is pretty easy for me to make.... It's not going to be a show car, it's beauty will be on the inside, I don't like driving ratty-looking cars (though I also think Welder-Up stuff is art) so it's going to be painted a nice, grandpa, light blue.... all the better to take Microsoft employee's lunch money. They don't realize how light old cars are, nor do they have any idea what that cute, little V6 will do... looks stock, they say ;) ... Update this, I say.

I know this is a ridiculous update, but as it takes removing a lock cylinder, taking it to a key shop, then taking it to a competent key shop....
I got keys today.....

Thank you Bonafide locksmith in Kirkland, you rock.

rust repairs coming soon

they are close-ish

better too long then too short?

no big deal, I know a guy who knows a guy who can make this into scrap

So I had a free hour tonight.... decided to dive into what I know this thing needs

I'm a bit disappointed in the metal work - but they were cheap, wrong, but cheap so it gives me enough metal to pound and a general shape... so away we go

leaky windows with no drain.... big surprise... not

a bit of trimming

I did this in two pieces because of that fitment issue -

you can see the issue where the seam is for the wheel opening....

it should be where the black line is... but not all the way down - which is why I cut it in two and will weld it back together. It's easier to knock it straight in a small panel

As some know, I have a bit of an incline from my house to the shop. The wagon doesn't have paint on it, it will rain next weekend, and I need my lift back...
Mind you, the PO said "the brakes went out"...

so I put fluid in hoping that I'd see where it was leaking... EUREKA...

I think I see the problem

Did you know that Corvette brake lines interchange with rear, 64 Buick lines? you do now

now it has brakes.... yay.

And about ad blocker... it's like this, I pay to host the images, and provide content for your site - which draws others to your site. I get nothing for it. But I'm not shutting off the blocker - so I guess you folks will have to create your own content so that I'm willing to have my computer clogged by your ads.... at this point, the answer is thanks for the offer but no thanks

Good bye.