Bumper reinforcements-??

Geoff87

Administrator
Staff member
Are the bumper reinforcements (aluminum) from an '80 Sport Coupe the same as the later '82-'87 body styles?

There's a FREE '80 Sport Coupe that I just checked out. Motor is fine, but the body is all rotted out from the Hawaiian salt air. Would this car be worth taking?

Aloha!

Geoff

I beleive that they did not put aluminum until 83, but I could be wroung. Take a magnet with you and see if it sticks :D
THT
Jim

78/80 and 81/87 use different reinforcements. Aluminum was used from '78 on. The earlier cars actually had more aluminum than the later ones. Core supports, hoods, decklids.

Not much from an '80 TR will work on a 84/87.

words to live by.

My grandmother told me that if you are offered ANYTHING for free take it. Even if you throw it away on the way home. If you don't whoever is offering, might not offer next time.:D If nothing else transplant the motor into a golfcart or something.

Thanks for the replies!

Originally posted by pat83t
My grandmother told me that if you are offered ANYTHING for free take it. Even if you throw it away on the way home. If you don't whoever is offering, might not offer next time.:D If nothing else transplant the motor into a golfcart or something.

My sentiment exactly! :D But not this time... I did manage to pull off one aluminum drum, but I'll need a puller for the remaining side. I posted this in the Hawaii section as well, but nobody seems interested in the car.

Maybe I'll pull the engine just for the crank.......

Aloha!
Geoff

Well, IMO any Sport Coupe is worth saving ;) but the engine and certain parts may be worth pulling and parting out if they're in good shape.

If I do pull the engine, I'll shoot you an e-mail. Let me know what you need and I'll send it for free. Just cover the shipping from Hawaii! Ouch!:D