You can type here any text you want

C-Clips???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
The 9 bolt uses pressed on gears and bolted in axles. I haven't heard of too many people breaking the rears the posi is what seems to die first.

Originally posted by trading t/a
The 9 bolt uses pressed on gears and bolted in axles. I haven't heard of too many people breaking the rears the posi is what seems to die first.

I have to ask what you mean by breaking the rear. If you break the posi, isn't the rear broken? Did you mean axles?

I do agree that the weakest link is the posi carrier as I haven't heard of anyone breaking an axle.

In breaking a rear I've seen many 10 bolts break ring gears, sheer off teeth, break axles, etc. In comparison I haven't seen any 9 bolts break in this fashion. I've owned a few V8 f body's before all with 9 bolts and they've held up very well. Even dumping the clutch at 4500 on my first car.(swapped 350/5 speed car) Tranny didn't last but the rear did.

What I meant was the carrier itself. The ring gears, pinions and axles seem to hold up to the monsterous abuse these Lc2's put out.

The gears will tweak from heavy launches, and the piddly clutches will start slipping. causing the one legger condition.

I have only heard of one bent axle, never a broken axle.

Julio

Thanks for the info, nice to know there isn't a small C clip in there holding the axles in! Who sells aftermarket axles for this rear?

Don't know of any vendors who have axles for the9 bolts. You could have a set made. Axles are pretty strong. As Razor said most of the time it's the posi that goes. At the track cleaning off the tres you'll notice that one wheel takes a little while longer to start turning. Time your done beefing it up you could have a moderate priced 12 bolt that'll take more abuse.

I looked at it like this, I picked up a used 9 bolt 3.27 rear out of an 88 GTA for 275 complete..its sitting on the floor inside my garage..if I ever bust mine..there's my spare..that 12 bolt replacement is over 2k new..thats 7 rear ends..still cant break mine..trying tho :)

If your that serious..get an updated rear, fuel cell, cage, etc and make it a legitimate track car. I cant see why..since you could get a early camaro with a big block and a little juice to dip into the 9's without batting an eyelash. then you'll be spoiled..

Sorry for the rant.. I fight this decision all the time..since i'm on the line with mine as well... And making it any faster will be a one way road to no turning back.

:D

Actually, the axle shaft bearings , and retainers are pressed on to the axle shaft. tThen the axle is installed and secured to the housing with the 4 bolts on the retainer. The gears are not "pressed" on to anything. Just thought I might mention that.Turbota

Originally posted by Razor

Sorry for the rant.. I fight this decision all the time..since i'm on the line with mine as well... And making it any faster will be a one way road to no turning back.

:D

Don't be a pu$$y, put a cage in it and call it a day. :cool: Mine is going in very soon. I am ordering my 12 bolt next week.

There are still so many of these cars sitting in garages while the collectors wait for people to realize what they are realy worth which is never gonna happen.

Race it, beat it and part it out then get another one and do it all over again. There will always be a nice low mileage TTA for you to buy. I promise :D You only live once, have fun with it.

9-bolt stuff

Miles is a good guy from what I hear..he's a little expensive but his parts are all top notch quality(from what I hear)

At least it gives us 9-bolt guys some options if they happen to break

Back