C5 brakes all around?? Sorry if the question has been answered already

dbranco

My GN is lowered 2" and am running 18x8 black riddlers all around.

Planning on doing the rear and front upgrade brakes to a c5 or c6? Which one would be better if you were doing it. After spending hours on the website reading everyone posts, i still have questions.

You guys have used the Front C5 rotors and caliper on the rear? Correct? I was thinking rear vette brakes on the rear of the GN but every picture I see shows twin piston calipers and that was only a front option and the rears of the vettes are single piston.

Saying that then the rotors would be the same all around correct?
I am planning on calling the salvage yards tomorrow and getting some parts so I can mock up the brakes.

I was going to for now use the stock spindles on the front and just make my own brackets, I have a plasma torch and a buddy has a bridgeport.

The rear I was going to try to find the whole e brake assembly for the rear of the GN but will the front caliper fit on the bracket? I don't think so but I am hoping someone can send me in the right direction.

I wanted to go with the LS1 camaro caliper and disc but I am lowered by 2" and everyone says it will bottom out and will have to relocate the strut bracket.???

Thanks
Dan

Check these guys out. You will need S10 spindles to make them work.

www.kore3.com

They have a rear kit too but it does not have an E brake.

There is also Baer brakes and their stuff is top notch. GNS is a vendor for them. Scott is a great help as well.

Why do we need a s10 spindle? Is it the bracket or offset?? Can someone please explain.
Thanks

Tried calling Flynbye.com now 4 times and no answer and no return call when I left a message??
Whats going on over there? They were the cheapest when it came to the brackets....

Just spent 4 hours at the salvage yards, all of the the 98-05 blazer s10 spindles I have seen are the wrong ones??? They look just like the stock GN ones with a spindle bearing ans axle nut!!
So again what year blazer or s10 do I need, my head is freakin spinning now.. lol

Finally found a set... These spindles do not come on all blazers! They are only the blazers with a special package and rear disc brakes...
Paid 225.00 for them, I thought it was a lot but I am knee deep into this and want to finish.
Question the rotors are frozen on, how do I take them off without destroying bearing?

Let us know how all of this works and what you have in it, if you don't mind.

I am doing the fronts and back disc c5 brakes for around 1400.00
Spindles 225.00
Bearing hubs 200.00
Bracket made 20.00
Calipers bone yard 160.00
Front rotors and pads Rock auto 135.00
Ball joints all four 120.00

Rear calipers, rotors, and pads 260.00?? Rock auto
Rear bracket 135.00
Fluids etc.....

This will give me 13" fronts
and 12" rotors in the rear.

Not too bad since they want 1800 for front and another 1100 for rears...
At least the money I saved will pay for some of a new tranny...

Just did front brakes and my pedal is real hard? Is that normal? The last pictures shows the front end lowered by 2" It looks like I should go more??

Attachments

• GN brakes 2.jpg
    GN brakes 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 195
  • GN brakes 1.jpg
    GN brakes 1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 134
  • GN lowered.jpg
    GN lowered.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 172
I would not lower it anymore. Drive it around and see what happens. It looks good.

I actually ended up using the Stock GN brake likes with now crush washers. The C5 brake lines were way too long...

I want to have the car look like a pro street touring car, there still is too much space between wheel and wheel opening. I am running 245/40/18 thinking of going with a 245, 235/50/18 if it fits. It would fill the space between wheel and opening??