You can type here any text you want

cam selection help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

89mulletbird

I finally blew a head gasket in the TTA after about 200 runs and it's time to change them. My car is about maxxed out for bolt on mods so I think it's a good time to put a new cam in it as well.

I've got a non-bb 6152E turbo and a 3200 stall 9" Art Carr converter in my TTA. The normal bolt ons, THDP, plenum, AFPR, Walbro, alky... runs mid/high 11's.

I really don't care too much for street manners since it doesn't have many anyways.. what I do want is for the car not to fall on its face at 4500 RPM. With my converter the RPM's flash to about 4,000 when I get on it, so a cam that will put my powerband between 4000-5000 would be ideal.

Also what else would I need to buy besides top end gasket kit, timing chain, and cam?

Dave

How far are you willing to wind the motor? A cam that starts to work at 4000 is going to redline pretty high.

I guess I meant I want the power peak to be between 4-5k, right now my peak is at about 3900 RPM, which is too low for my converter/turbo combo.

With a stock cam, torque peaks around 3600, hp peaks around 4400 rpm. What would you like your ultimate rpm redline to be?

A cam of around 218/218 @ .050 with a l/s of 112, installed 4 degrees advanced would give you a pretty flat hp peak between 4000 and 5200 rpm. A good shift point would be between 5000 and 5250.

Good fuel and/or alcohol injection will be a must.

Back