You can type here any text you want

CAM SENCER help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
There are several "right" ways to do it, but there is a much simpler way to get it done fast, and you dont need any voltmeters or gizmos.
Pull the #1 spark plug out. Have a friend flip the ignition to rotate the motor in small bits. With your finger on the #1 plug hole, have him flip the starter and keep rotating the motor until you feel air shooting out the hole in a big way. Thats the compression stroke. Once you feel that air, have him stop. Now get a ratchet and socket and using the alternator pulley nut, rotate the motor till you reach top dead center (0 on the balancer marker). You may have to put tension on the belt with your other hand to get the motor to turn.
Remove the cam sensor cap.
Now in this position at TDC, the little window on the gold colored cup should be pointing somewhere towards the air air filter. Loosen the bolt that locks the cam sensor down (in the block). Just loosen it. Dont pull it out cause its a bitch to get back in.
Now 180 degrees around from this window on the cup, you'll see a very small rectangular hole on the floor of the cup. This is where there is a tang that locks the cup in position is. Dont loosen or remove the cup. There is a mark on the aluminum part of the cam sensor thats pointing somewhere toward cylinder #6. This thing is the nub that locates the cam sensor cap in position.
Rotate the cam sensor until the little rectangular hole in the cup, lines up with that locating nub on the aluminum.
Tighten the cam sensor retaining bolt back down, and you should be good to go.
You have to be really really out of whack for the cam sensor to not do its job, so no need to stress over it. Ive done this job with the little caspers tool, a voltmeter, etc...and this way works just fine. I didnt have to take it to 22 degrees or whatever past TDC or anything like they say to do. Doing it this way, I dont have any off idle stumble that I used to have when doing it the "right" way.

Back