Camaro radiator...HUGE diffrence

camaro75racer

Well i havent really liked the temperatures my car has been running so i decided to make some changes. I pulled the clutch fan and radiator out and got to looking. I happen to notice the radiator looked pretty small so i grabbed one that was in my 75 camaro and there was at least 5" diffrence across. After some inspection i notice that by removing the plastic piece on the drivers side the camaro radiator sat in place very nicely. After this i bought 2 12" electric fans from the local speed shop ($50 each), mounted them up side by side and installed a 165* thermostat. I was running temps upwards of 210 degrees at redlights before now this thing is down to 170 in major traffic. I would suggest this to anyone. I think the camaro radiator was like $100 from Advance...cant remember its been awhile since i bought it...and other than that all thats needed was another radiator hold down($10 at junkyard). Just thought you guys might be interested if you didnt already know about this setup. Later

Radiator Size

The radiator from a 87 V8 G body (Monte Carlo) is the same as the radiator that is the 87 GN it fits perfectly just move the rubber mounts. It is much bigger than what was in my 84 GN

would this work for a 82 sport coupe (t-type) im think about going aluminiumwhat yall think
:smile:

Don't know the price of Alum stuff but it maybe $$$
Don't know what stage your at $$$
So Stock stuff is cheaper
Your choice

These radiators really work even without the electric fans. I put one in(no electric fan) and dropped my temps from 225 to 200 when it 95 degrees outside and in stop and go traffic. When driving in the temp dropped to 180-185 while it was 95 outside. Brad

82 sc said:
would this work for a 82 sport coupe (t-type) im think about going aluminiumwhat yall think
:smile:
It'll work, youve got the same core support. Go aluminum for less than $20 more [$117 I think] with a lifetime warranty from AutoZone. This subject has been beat to death, even recently. Do a search for Fbody radiator. Lots of info in this forum and the General tech section. I dont recall the part # off the top of my head but its posted many times (I want to say 43918? but that may be wrong). During the extreme heat here probably 110 with the heat index and A/C running highest I saw temps in traffic were 190~. Normally it will stay in the 160s. Sometimes creep up to 170~ but then comes back down. Ive seen it come down as low as 159 (dont remember the temp outside at the time).

Mine with the cheap autozone aluminum radiator and Ramchargers dual fans stayed right at 160 all summer in 107 degree heat. This is with a front mount intercooler also. Once it cooled off to the low 90s, the second fan that is set to come on at 160 cycled on and off. This is a great combo that cost right at $210.

FWIW, the v8 G-body radiator is meant for a mechanical fan, the fin spacing is pretty low for an electrical fan. I don't doubt it works better than the stock radiator but a radiator meant for an electrical fan will work better. I've already tried a 4-core giant radiator and the F-bod radiator is much, much better and cheaper.

I forgot to add, you would be surprised how much a good oil cooler will help coolant temps. With my old radiator, I saw a 5-10 degree reduction in water temps when I added an oil cooler.

I am in the process of doing this conversion, How have you guys mounted your ramchargers fans to your f-body radiator? Any pics or suggestions would be welcome! Oh, I have the upper-radiator-support from a 86/87 GN, so i can hold the rad in place, just need to figure out how to mount tha ramchargers fans. Thanks fo any help!