You can type here any text you want

camshaft worries

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87TIGN

Death by boost
What is it that makes a camshaft get wiped out right away? I am rebuilding my motor to pretty much stock specs so what can I do in order to avoid this. I have heard lots of horror stories about it and i am terrified of it happening to me. Thanks
-Andrew

do a search under which cam or the like.
from what ive gathered so far Use Gm Eos & conventional oil on the break in- during break in keep rpms 2000 & up to 2500 occassionally for 20 to 30 min. straight. DO NOT use too much valve spring pressure, and use the retainers & locks etc as a kit, not too much valve lift. use a high quality oil with zinc in it like rotella,quacker state Q, valvoline r1 racing, delo chevron, delvac etc. i may have left something out maybe someone will correct me if im wrong.

The environmental weenies have determined that zinc in motor oils is bad. Zinc is an anti-scuff, pressure additive that older engines need to stay healthy. Since most, of not all newer cars have gone to roller cams, the necessity for zinc has gone down. Rotella, EOS, and other additives replenish the zinc, and strengthen the lubricating film of oil.

Many run flat tappet cams (stock style) without a lot of drama. When I went thru my engine, I decided to go with a roller cam, because I didn't want to relive the adventures of others going thru a proper break-in, and having the cam go flat a month later.

EOS is Engine Oil Supplement- GM product available at your local GM dealer. Runs about $6.00-$8.00 per quart.

Just go roller.

I know ur going stock, but a think u can get a 206/206 hydraulic roller that will work great in a stock motor. Nobody will know if U use the stock rocker arm shafts. Nice and quiet, and a nice power increase too.

So you think I can use a hydralic roller cam and use the stock lifters rockers and rods? If i did the roller lifters i would have to put the retainer in there right? So just the roller cam and the rest stock will be ok?

No- the roller cam is for use only with roller lifters. The cam itself is ground flat, unlike a flat tappet cam, which is ground tapered to promote lifter spin. The kit from Full Throttle has all the parts to install the cam.

Onthe other hand, you can either use the stock rocker arms or go with roller rockers.

Yeah what he said!

No- the roller cam is for use only with roller lifters. The cam itself is ground flat, unlike a flat tappet cam, which is ground tapered to promote lifter spin. The kit from Full Throttle has all the parts to install the cam.

Onthe other hand, you can either use the stock rocker arms or go with roller rockers.

;) I was just about to clarify.

Back