You can type here any text you want

Can I rotate Exhause housing?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mycarsucks

Rambler
I rotated my compressor housing to attempt to get the desired angle for my new interooler, but Just couldnt get it right. I noticed that the exhaust housing bolts are a little over 2 inches apart whereas the compressor bolts are nearly 3 inches. Is it safe to rotate the exhaust housing as you can with the compressor housing? I think a combination of the two could be perfect.

You really can't rotate the exhaust housing or the exhaust won't bolt up. Not to mention the mounting ears. What intercooler are you going with? Why do you need a combination of the two when the compressor housing can be rotated to any angle you could want?

I sure can't get the compressor housing to rotate any angle I want. I could be doing something wrong though. I took out 4 bolts that hold the compressor housing to the center section. It rotates freely, but I have to put the bolts back into the 4 holes. Becuase the bolt holes are spaced about 3 inches apart, I have to make rotations 3 inches at a time.

Is tehre somethign Im doing wrong here?

Put the 4 bolts back in and loosen the 6 bigger bolts up and then you can spin the compressor housing freely/

Ok, this time I'm gonna know whats going on for sure. I think what everyone else considers turning the compressor is what I consider turning the exhaust. When you "rotate the comressor" does the center section spin as well?

I'm gonna include a really really ugly picture i threw together. I realize that I probably dont have the correct terms for what I'm referring to, but try to understand it. Please take a look and tell me what bolts I'm supposed to use. I don't know why I'm even doing this except that I'm not 100% sure its ok to rotate all the joints.

Thanks guys

You only want to loosen the outer bolts. Two of which bolt your wastegate to the compressor housing. Just loosen them and turn. If they have never been loosened before it might take a couple easy taps to get the housing loose. They are 13mm bolts. I believe the wrong ones are 10mm or 7/16 but either way they are smaller than the compressor housing bolts. You don't want to move anything else around or you will throw the exhaust alignment or oil feed/return alignment off.

The compressor side is the side with the aluminum housing...Your wastegate actuator actually uses 2 of the bolts that you need to loosen to rotate the housing...And no, your center section should not rotate, either...

Do not rotate the exhaust side or your DP or up-pipe will probably not seal right again...

Just trying to help or expain a little easier...

Hey, thanks guys. I had to give it a pretty healthy whack to get the thing to spin.

How hot does the exhaust housing get? It's looking pretty sad, and I was wondering if I could paint it with high temp paint. (no, there is no way to powder coat it)

It'll get to at least 1400*...The guys running egts on the 86/7s with the probe mounted on the header which is closer to the turbo on their cars than the 84/5s can see up to about 1600*...I don't think you'll find any paint that will hold up to the heat for long...

I have heard of some people Jet-Hot coating(or similar coating) their exhaust housing, but other than that, I'm not sure what would hold up...

Maybe somekind of barbecue grill paint might hold up for a while...

If you find something, let us know...

The exhaust housing doesn't get quite as hot as the rest of the header system but it does glow a little after a hard 1/4 run. I've used the 500 degree engine paint and after the first 10 minute drive it looked exactly as it did before I painted it. I tried the 1,500 degree paint and it stayed but turned very dull. If the turbo is already rusted and not looking very good I would paint it with the 1,500 degree stuff. If it looks decent, the paint will probably make it look worse. My friend has his jethot coated and it looks awesome. Still looks like the day it was done and that was 5 years ago.

Back