You can type here any text you want

can you swap in a 12 bolt?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Eric Stauch

Nasty87
Hey guys, I was wondering what all would be involved in putting a 12 bolt out of 71 chevelle in a 87 gn. Anyone know if its to wide or control arms in wrong locations? Thanks to all.

I'm pretty sure UMI sells control arms for the swap(uppers) I believe. But I'm curious as well about length etc..

Don't remember who make the conversion arms but yes, you can do it. The biggest issue will be the fact that's it's longer. You'll need a different offset rear wheel.

So upper arm, and length. Wonder how much too long like just take it up with wheel spacing or so much the the housing needs shorting?

Turbofish38 did the conversion but he's been sadly absent on the board. There's some info on the web if you're willing to do some searching Eric.

I just checked umi and they do have the arm for like 189 not to bad. I will look further, when I come up with the length difference I will post it in case someone is curious. Thanks Charlie and everyone else.

If it helps I considered the conversion myself. I ended up with a 9" ford, the A body rear, and a stock 7.5 that's re-enforced very heavily. I'm sticking with the 7.5 for now but may end up changing to the 9" later.

Best I can tell the A body is 2 inches longer overall, I'm just not sure about everything else like shock mounts, I know they look like there in the same place. I think this is just going to be a try it and learn project.

Its either a half inch or 1 inch wider on each side i cant remember...My buddy was gonna put one in his malibu and did all the research...

Back