Can's spin tires from dead stop....

C

Cakes

I just had new 245/60/15 BFGoodrich tires put on the back of my car and just recently I installed a Caspers Hot wire kit and I cannot spin the tires by matting it from a dead stop. Before when I had 235/60/15s on the back I could spin them easily at around 20 mph till 40 mph and then chirp second. Now all I get when doing the same feat is a pretty decent chirp (maybe 4-5 feet) at around 20 mph. I know the 245's are taller then the 235s but only by 1/2 inch so I didnt think it would be much of a difference and I also have a hot wire kit now and I dont know why my car is doing this. All I hear is how these cars are torque monsters and how without anything but a 275 rear tire you are not going to get traction. The car does feel powerful but I just think it can be more powerful. Thanks for your time and help it is greatly appreciated.

Well the first thing I would is get an adjustable fuel pressure reg.

As far as the tires being taller, is the 60 ratio that hurts. When we run 275s the ratio is 50. So your tire is 245 mm wide and mine is 275 wide and yet mine have lower height than yours.

Anyway sit at a light and hold the brake real firm and build about 3 or 4 pounds of boost and let her fly.

I can't build more than about 4 without the Nitto DR's braking loose.

Have fun.

Do you think an adjustable regulator will help much in that department? I just have read a lot on this site and others that matted from a stop once the turbo spools the tires just cant grip for nothing but maybe these are 10 second cars I do not know. Also once I let off after a WOT run I can smell "richness" coming from the exhaust. I am pretty sure its just the smell of the excess fuel after letting off but I was curious about weak spark and not burning enough on the big end. Oh well I just have the feeling my car can run much better but I will keep playing arund and see what she can do. Thanks guys!

If you wanna smoke the tires, get a line lock. Otherwise, be happy you have traction

How much boost? How much KR? What are the O2s WOT?

Could be traction is good or a problem need some more information. :)

You need a scan tool!!! You could be pig rich, and not know it. This would make the car run like a dog. If this was the case, all you would do is turn the fuel pressure down and boom, instant tire smoke.

I'm thinking that the new hot wire kit increased the voltage to the fuel pump and now it's running rich. I'd say yes you could benifit from an adjustable regulator.. What O2's are you running now?

ks:cool:

I could swear I read the guy just changed the tires, and added a hotwire. Why are we troubleshooting a driveability problem? Neityher of these affect power output?

I'd be happy with the newfound traction. Also remember that it may be harder to spin for several other reasons: More contact patch or warmer weather for instance. My close-to-stock car would cook the stocker tires, then I put on 255's. I cooked them on day 1 just by matting it, but it was 33 degrees that day: hard tire plus more power. Now, those tires are just about perfect for my power. Trouble is, not enough power. :D