You can type here any text you want

Can't lower boost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mytta49

I will try to make this short. Had some mods done, Alky kit, 30 lb injectors, Turbotweak chip set up for Alky. I also at the same time put on a HD actuator and found that at WOT the boost would go to 25 lbs. I tried to lower the boost by extending the rod and had the rod so far extended that there was no tension on the pin. Still 24 lbs boost
I then decided to put the factory actuator rod back on and still boosting at 22 under WOT with the rod pretty long. I can extended it several more turns to make it longer, but it shouldnt be boosting that high with the stock actuator at the length I have it at.
I checked my WG selenoid (which is about 1 year old), the 3 hoses and Y connector (which also is about a year old)
Any ideas what else to look for to find out why I cant lower the boost ?
I know it has nothing to do with the mods I mentioned above unless during the installation by my friend, he disconnected or screwed something up ?
Thanks

Was the turbo removed?
Does it take a long time to spool up?
Check the Y connector the restricted side goes to the compressor housing.

Sounds like the Y hose was installed wrong.

Razor said:
Sounds like the Y hose was installed wrong.

No, the Y is installed correctly. It spools up fast. The turbo was not removed either. Not sure what else to try, was thinking of trying an RJC boost controller, any opinion on that ?
Thanks

Might want run a line direct from the turbo to the wastegate and run it tuner style to remove the wastegate solenioid and the restrictor & 3 hoses out of the picture and see if adjusting the wastegate rod will now lower the boost?

Wells said:
Might want run a line direct from the turbo to the wastegate and run it tuner style to remove the wastegate solenioid and the restrictor & 3 hoses out of the picture and see if adjusting the wastegate rod will now lower the boost?

Another good idea. Or just try unhooking the rod completely.

Quiky One said:
If he does that he wont have any boost correct?

Jason

Well you should get some I believe but not very much and spool should be extremely slow. Also where are you located? Maybe someone on here can come and look at it and be able to quickly change some things and try a couple things to try and narrow it down.

Also what type of gauge are you using and where is it getting it's reading from?

mytta49 said:
No, the Y is installed correctly. It spools up fast. The turbo was not removed either. Not sure what else to try, was thinking of trying an RJC boost controller, any opinion on that ?
Thanks

No, that will increase boost not reduce it.

Minimum boost on a HD actuator typically is 18 PSI. Your WG solenoid has an exposed nipple, block that and you should be going to minimum boost with the rod extended where it places a small amount of tension on the puck.

Running a hose from compressor to WG also brings you to minimum boost. It will spool slower this way, but for testing.. better to start low and figure things out.

You could also have a bad WG actuator.. it should hold air pressure with a vacuum pump. I know its new... but new doesnt guarantee it works.

Razor said:
You could also have a bad WG actuator.. it should hold air pressure with a vacuum pump. I know its new... but new doesnt guarantee it works.

The only reason I felt it was not the HD actuator was that it boosted to 25 with rod extended and no tension on the puck. Since the boost was going to 25 with the rod fully extended (no tension on the puck) I put the factory one back on which I knew was not defective and was working before the alky kit. (and I know the alky kit is not the problem and does work great). With the original factory one and the rod fully extended with a slight amount of tension on the puck, it still boosts to 24/25 psi.
I will try your other suggestions.
Thank you

The way boost is made is by sealing the puck hole. The more that is bled out, the less boost you will make.

Recheck your puck and make sure its not sticking/hanging up. And the actuator getting pressure on its nipple is how it opens the puck flapper. So its down to a few things..

At least you have the alky while you've been playing :)

72firebird said:
Well you should get some I believe but not very much and spool should be extremely slow. Also where are you located? Maybe someone on here can come and look at it and be able to quickly change some things and try a couple things to try and narrow it down.

Also what type of gauge are you using and where is it getting it's reading from?
I dont think so. If you unhook the wastgate there will be no tension at all thus no boost. How would you get boost if there is no tension on the puck?

Jason

Quiky One said:
I dont think so. If you unhook the wastgate there will be no tension at all thus no boost. How would you get boost if there is no tension on the puck?

Jason

I haven't actually done it but theoretically it should work. All the puck does is allow the air to bypass the exhaust wheel and just go straight out the DP. However the puck hole is only like 1" wide and with as much exhaust as there is flwing into the exhaust housing it would back up trying to push through the puck. So whenever it backs up at the puck a little bit of the exhaust will actually spin the exhaust wheel.

Razor said:
Recheck your puck and make sure its not sticking/hanging up. And the actuator getting pressure on its nipple is how it opens the puck flapper. So its down to a few things..

At least you have the alky while you've been playing :)

When I pull the WD rod off the pin, the pin moves freely left and right, so I assume that can't be the problem ?

One other thing, I did change a while back the WD selenoid on the PS valve cover with a new one as a precautionary upgrade (I know, if its not broken, don't fix it.) If the new one is defective, could that be my problem or does the WG selenoid have nothing to do with controlling the amount of boost.
Thanks again

mytta49 said:
When I pull the WD rod off the pin, the pin moves freely left and right, so I assume that can't be the problem ?

One other thing, I did change a while back the WD selenoid on the PS valve cover with a new one as a precautionary upgrade (I know, if its not broken, don't fix it.) If the new one is defective, could that be my problem or does the WG selenoid have nothing to do with controlling the amount of boost.
Thanks again

Yeah that could be the problem. I don't remember if you said it or not but did you hook the hose straight from the compressor housing to the WG? If the WG solenoid is stuck open or doesn't close all the way then the air will never get to the WG to actually open it up.

Back