Can't open my hood ? HELP

XLR8ER

Just a Car Guy
I'll bet I'm not the first person with this problem...
My hood release cable seems to have broken.

I pulled the release handle as usual but it felt like it the cable snapped. rolleyes:
How can I open the hood without damaging the body ?
Thanks in advance.:

this happens to me every so often. i just take a hammer and whack the hood good and it opens.

in all seriousness, i normally just put my hand on the crease in the center of the hood and gently press down and it will pop up if not it will reclose the hood and let me use the release handle.

Dathan

correct, as it has happened in the past pull the handle and i personally gently bump the front center with my palm and it pops right up, hit it with some white grease before you close it....

I'm not sure if anybody read the part about the cable breaking... The handle is now loose because the other end of the cable is no longer attached under the hood. Pressing down on the hood doesn't work, because the cable broke and did not release. HELP ?

did it pop when you pulled the lever ? if so go under the car where you can see the bottom of the hood and push it up, this also happened to me.

well the broken cable is easy to fix... the claw part of the hammer should be able to lift the hood open.

as far as replacing the the cable i dont have the slighted idea. i would imagine you can get the replacement through your fav GM parts dealer. and just trace the cable back. it sould connect like a brake on a bike.

Dathan

Same thing happend to me a bit ago on my othe regal. Hopefully you got lucky and when you broke the cable you unleashed the hood a bit. I broke the handle cuz it felt like it wasnt back all the way (it was ;)) Go the the front center point of the hood and bang on it with your fist (pinky down ;)) it might just pop up.

Scott

Are you certain the cable actually snapped? These things are notorious for getting stuck like this, and when they do, it gives the impression that the cable is not attached. I've dealt with it on 2 outta 3 of my TR's, and several friends too. I've never actually seen the cable break (not to say it can't), but as mentioned, it's usally just hung up and leaves the handle feeling un-attached. Whatever you do, be very gentle when putting pressure on the hood skin. These hoods have a very thin skin, and are easily dented and dimpled!
Try applying firm pressure to push it all the way down, and listen for a "click". If you hear it, then the cable should feel reattached at the handle, and you can try to get it to pop open again. If you do get it open, I suggest heavily greasing/spraying the underhood mechanism. It solved my dilemas before.
If the cable is broken, then sorry, I don't know how to help you.
Best wishes on it...

I've tried to firmly push on the hood... I've tried to open handed hit the front of the hood... it refuses to just pop up like it used to?
I'm prety sure the cable must have broken. I removed the driver side headlight, but still can't seem to get to the hood latch.
Any other ideas ? Thanks.

Go underneath the car yourself behind the grille and unlatch it by hand. Of course, have a flashlight handy! ;)

Scott

Well, I am surprised that nobody else ever had a broken hood release cable... but I guess somebody had to be first.

The fix requires removal off the lower air dams and the flaps above them. Then unscrew the 3 bolts holding the top of the grill. With the grill out of the way, you can use a 13mm socket to unscrew the 2 bolts holding the hood latch bracket. Once these bolts are out, you can raise your hood enough to disconect the cable and then fully raise your hood. Good Luck.