You can type here any text you want

Can't replace the engine mounts...How much to get done at a shop?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

baller760

Well, I just finished doing my body mounts in 3 evenings! I will never do that again on a 20 year old car! I had to make a new fitting to be placed in the #6 area because it was all rusted out and the bushing was pushing through the frame. Also, the frame was off alignment so it was a lot of fun trying to get the holes lined up again. One thing though is I'm not sure how tight you are supposed to tighten the bolts. The gnttype instructions say snug but it seem as if you could turn forever and just compress the bushings. I just went until I felt a little give and about a 1/4 turn after that. :confused:

Anyway, I went to start changing out the engine mounts. I lowered the car, took the front wheels off and raised it back up. I have no idea how large the cross bolts are (the ones that go from front to the back ofthe car), and there is no way I can access the passenger side from the front. The oil filter, the k-member, the lower control arm, everything is in the way! I have no idea how you guys seem to be able to do all this stuff on jackstands because the passenger side is pretty much impossible for me. I have extensions and universals but it seems a no go.

So, now that I am done complaining how much does a shop charge to have these changed out?

in my 84, the mounts are right out in the open and would probably be a 1/2 hour job if things go smoothly- a couple of hours if things were stuck.
i can't imagine an 86 being that much more complicated- the only difference should be the way the downpipe runs on the passenger side, and a few misc things in different locations.
i'd say to take a couple of weeks off from working on it, then come back at it fresh in the beginning of August.

I use ramps. Then you can see better what needs to be done. One side at a time. FWIW, body mounts are a more difficult task than motor mounts in my opinion.

Idk took the front wheels off and have it up on jack stands. I can't even get my fingers to the bolt on the passenger side from the front of the car. It is so crowded in that area.

Help support the turbo Buick community and TB.com by supporting the suppliers, vendors and / or turbo Buick Specialty shops that are TB.com Sponsorship Team members.

Lou Czarnota's shop is not too far from you, and Lou is a supporting vendor
Lou's Auto

Although not a TB.com supporting vendor, Tim lee at Don Lee Auto Service in Rancho Cucamonga does a lot of suspension, chassis, & motor work for the Inland Empire. (909) 989-1573

Did mine in my 86 this spring it's not that bad. On the passenger side front, it looks like you cant get at it, but you can with extensions on your socket wrench. You don't need to be able to get your fingers on a bolt to be able to get it out. You just need to get the socket on it.

If you can do body mounts, you can do motor mounts!

I would think it is real world to be charger an hour per side by any shop.
You may find different though,
But i would expect to get a quote between 1 to 2 hours
An expierienced Buick Mech should be able to do it in an hour with the right
tools.

Back